Failure to Communicate

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mr Casey, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Mr Casey

Mr Casey Guest

Is it just me, or does our culture seem to be declining into swearing and sex as rap becomes one of the top "music" genre's in the country?

I feel that we are losing a sense of purpose and a level of maturity is being reached that is equal to that of the 10th grade educated rappers who make this garbage. Society is becoming dumber, as if it was even possible, and we are no longer making any sense in our music. Only a select few artists today make good songs that have any meaning whatsoever.

What musicwill be remembered from this decade, and what messege will it send?
    I see almost no artists being remembered. The only one I can think of would be John Mayer.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

No offense, but I kinda laughed when you made this generally arrogant and presumptious statement about rap . . . and then claimed that Mayer would be remembered.

I don't see how rap makes people dumber. Granted, I don't like 99% of rap either, but it's a bit silly to say it makes people stupid. Do you have proof? It's like saying that Marilyn Manson caused Columbine, there's no logic involved.

Also, does music need to have meaning? If so, how much and how does the music portray meaning? If you think lyrics make a song, then what about techno? Techno is about energy and vibe, not profound meaning. I also don't see what makes Mayer memorable. He's a simple formula, a goofy guy guitarist gushing grubby grab-ass music.

America is simply going through a phase. I don't really know why we would glorify the ghetto, but we do. It's a materialistic society we live in and rap is ALL materialism. And bitches.

3. Mr Casey

Mr Casey Guest

Well, clearly rap is about the bitches. However, music has purpose, or is supposed to; that's what makes it music. I'm a classical musician who plays in an Orchestra everyday, and if I do not see the composer's statement, I find the music dull, or simply not worth playing.

The fact that rap doesn't actually deal with reality or convey a messege hinders thought by implanting stupid phrases like, "my bitch," or "baby-fadda." Also, rap is less music, more like a messed up poetry. The fact that it is called "music" in its loosest form is a drag on the word.

Techno has a purpose, and that IS the energy and vibe it gives off. It feeds off the listeners soul the way classical does. But maybe thats why I like techno too...

4. Kyo_Muramasa

Kyo_Muramasa Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n

There are the good rappers who songs are really like strong poems and ppl and relate to them.

But then there are the bad rappers who are giving the good rappers a bad name and making rap look bad in some ppl's eyes. These are the ones who are mainly writing song after song about the same thing, sex, etc. U name it. When u get ahold of the two different types of rappers u will see what I mean, take the time to hear some of the lyrics.

5. lavoidgaskins

lavoidgaskins Registered Member

First off I want to know if you were inspired to write this after ? Moving on I want to know why you have such a negative impact to rap. It seems as if you thin it's nothing more then a f you this, I had sex with this girl that when in reality that may not be the case.

6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

As many of you know, I am a metal head. However there a rappers I respect like DMX, Eminem, Biggie, Tupac, Eve, RUN DMC, and Will Smith(the only one that is popular with cursing) just to name a few. But the point brought up here is true.

How can society highlight a form of music that is currently all about who can out "bling" or get more "bitches" than the other. Fabulous was shot last night here in NY and he's being brought up on charges because illegal guns were found in his vehicle and on those accompanying him.

And radio and television continue to shove this form down the throats of Americas youth as the route to go; let's see learn to rap, get and waste money off of 1 single, then die young because you got shot by competition. Great way to go.

Stick the hard rock and metal; its a true music type and will be around long after people realize that ghetto ain't fabulous.

7. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

I think in a way, it is degrading society a bit... if it were just the music, I'd be fine with it... might not like it generally, but be fine with it. As it is however, it's become this really violent, disrespectful, and generally harmful way of life that accompanies the music, and as many young people hear the music they try to adopt the way of life.

8. shawnesty23

shawnesty23 Guest

you gotta stop pretending you know anything about rap, if you just judge off what you hear on tv and the radio you have no idea whats out there

9. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

The tv and the radio reaches far more people than whatever the true rap is, so whatever message the corporate rap conveys is the one that the majority of people will recieve, and the one which most people who do so will emulate. So that's not the true real rap? Fine, it doesn't matter.

10. shawnesty23

shawnesty23 Guest

nah its people trying to sell to little girls and such or pretending they are hard when they arent. i dont believe that anyone who really listens to music would let it affect their life, if you do your stupif for doing so