Facepalm of the Week: Resident Evil 5 Racism Returns!

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Seems another dim bulb has hopped aboard the "black people can never be villains" train with yet another dull look into the unreleased video game. It's a bit of a read, but nothing too long:
One of the first things you see in the game, seconds after taking control of Chris Redfield, is a gang of African men brutally beating something in a sack. Animal or human, it's never revealed, but these are not infected Majini. There are no red bloodshot eyes. These are ordinary Africans, who stop and stare at you menacingly as you approach. Since the Majini are not undead corpses, and are capable of driving vehicles, handling weapons and even using guns, it makes the line between the infected monsters and African civilians uncomfortably vague. Where Africans are concerned, the game seems to be suggesting, bloodthirsty savagery just comes with the territory.

Later on, there's a cut-scene of a white blonde woman being dragged off, screaming, by black men. When you attempt to rescue her, she's been turned and must be killed. If this has any relevance to the story it's not apparent in the first three chapters, and it plays so blatantly into the old clichés of the dangerous "dark continent" and the primitive lust of its inhabitants that you'd swear the game was written in the 1920s. That Sheva neatly fits the approved Hollywood model of the light-skinned black heroine, and talks more like Lara Croft than her thickly-accented foes, merely compounds the problem rather than easing it. There are even more outrageous and outdated images to be found later in the game, stuff that I was honestly surprised to see in 2009, but Capcom has specifically asked that details of these scenes remain under wraps for now, whether for these reasons we don't know.

There will be plenty of people who refuse to see anything untoward in this material. "It wasn't racist when the enemies were Spanish in Resident Evil 4," goes the argument, but then the Spanish don't have the baggage of being stereotyped as subhuman animals for the past two hundred years. It's perfectly possible to use Africa as the setting for a powerful and troubling horror story, but when you're applying the concept of people being turned into savage monsters onto an actual ethnic group that has long been misrepresented as savage monsters, it's hard to see how elements of race weren't going to be a factor.

All it will take is for one mainstream media outlet to show the heroic Chris Redfield stamping on the face of a black woman, splattering her skull, and the controversy over Manhunt 2 will seem quaint by comparison.
And with Ta-Nehisi's help get that clip of said black woman's skull being splattered!

Seriously though, the whole "it's only a game" defense--which people always raise--is so lame. It's usually raised by the same 35-year old dude who plays video-games, like other people watch TV, and swears that video games are just as legitimate as TV. As a guy who plays WoW, like other people watch TV, and swears that gaming is just as legit as TV, I can relate. But if we're going to allow video games to enter into the world of adults, if we don't want to looked upon as boys in the bodies of men, then we have to be serious. Either this shit is real, or it ain't. You can't ask people to at once respect the creativity of gaming, and then tell them they can't critique it.

One good thing about hip-hop is that the belief that the music is somehow magical (however mistaken that belief is) has empowered legions of fans to argue about its merits. We can be completely insufferable, arrogant, and dead-ass wrong. But if you say that misogyny taints the entire Biggie catalog--as you could maintain--you will get a debate. Some will say, "Meh, it's just music," but many more will actually engage the argument.
Sometimes it's just racist... - Ta-Nehisi Coates

See, I can debunk this entire incoherent rabble with only a few questions:

1. Ever played another Resident Evil? If so, why weren't you pissed that the first game contained only white people (And a LOT of CRAZY white people)? What about Resident Evil 4? Are Spaniards less of human beings than black people?

/shitty arguments.

Because I guarantee you this person has no experience with the previous games. All they see is this game and all they see is black people. Not only is this game being made in a country where black slavery didn't happen but Capcom has what amounts to nothing in their history that points towards racism.

This is a problem our country has, we think that black people are soft, frail, broken people that constantly need our protection and to lash out at every possible thing that may be construed as racism. The response to this game is laughable. It proves the white guilt problem we have in this country. No one, I repeat, no one wrote about racism against Spaniards when RE4 came out and that thing was more popular than the Pope. Honestly take a look at our country and what we do. It's almost racism on parts of people like this guy who call it out and cry about it when in truth, there's nothing suggesting it.

In the video game, these people are possessed by parasites (Of course he'd know that if he played the last game, how convenient ignorance can be in making a point!) so all this blabber about blacks being portrayed as vicious animals is null and void because just like in RE4, the parasite takes over the host and makes them hyper-aggressive and violent. People like Coates are the problem with the news media these days because they make stuff up and stir up problems over things they don't understand. You can tell how misinformed Coates is by his continued use of the ancient 35-year old gamer stereotype. Perhaps he is projecting?

Thoughts?

wooly

I am the woolrus
1. Ever played another Resident Evil? If so, why weren't you pissed that the first game contained only white people (And a LOT of CRAZY white people)? What about Resident Evil 4? Are Spaniards less of human beings than black people?

/shitty arguments.
Haha, i was talking about this with people the other day and that's pretty much exactly what we said. I think anyone with an ounce of awareness will find this whole racism thing ridiculous.

But like you said, ignorance is convenient when making an argument. And i know the media is going to jump all over this with the same idiocy and ignorance that Mr Coates above has shown.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
UH OH, BLACK PEOPLE ARE DOING SOMETHING BAD IN A GAME? BETTER CALL THE MEDIA!

Seriously, where was this guy when Far Cry 2 came out? You know, the game where you fight African diamond lords?

Ryuk

Registered Member
Oh dear lord :sigh: :rolleyes:

You know I had the solution for this some time back - In the middle of the game just have Chris Redfield kill Don Imus. The man is practically a zombie as is and all parties involved will be happy.

So a Japanese video game producer is being deliberately racist huh? You know it's funny because I'm replaying 4 right now in anticipation of 5, and hey, I can't help but notice that the infected in the game, well they're speaking Spanish! Don't that beat all? Hey if that's the case then I guess that means they were being racist in that game also huh?

So then how come nobody started bitching and whining about it four plus years ago?

Does anybody else here know what the original concept behind 50 Cent: Bulletproof was going to be? As 50 you were going to storm an office building and gun down white people in suits and ties. And I'm sure the NAACP was voicing their disapproval about it just like they're doing about Res Evil 5 right now am I right?

Or maybe they should just do something better with their time instead of stupidly wasting the way they are now.

One of my best friends is Afro-American and he's stated for some time now that this controversy is some of the most ascenine bullshit he's ever heard.

Had the same reaction as Constantine over this.. after I had stopped sighing and shaking my head. ...someone actually got the developers to respond to it all several times, until Capcom US just prepared a nonsensical statement everyone gobbled up every time someone asked, so it stopped turning into "this could be a racist game! More fuel on the fire at eleven, as developer tries to defend the game from the racist allegations!".

Of course - when are the same jackasses going to tackle the mind- numbingly blatant racism in WW2 games and movies? Never, that's when.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
Had the same reaction as Constantine over this.. after I had stopped sighing and shaking my head. ...someone actually got the developers to respond to it all several times, until Capcom US just prepared a nonsensical statement everyone gobbled up every time someone asked, so it stopped turning into "this could be a racist game! More fuel on the fire at eleven, as developer tries to defend the game from the racist allegations!".

Of course - when are the same jackasses going to tackle the mind- numbingly blatant racism in WW2 games and movies? Never, that's when.
I'm mostly of German ancestry, and I'm always a bit offended when I hear the German Army announcer in Call of Duty: World at War's multiplayer.

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
I swear to whatever higher power there is that if this games gets postponed any more than it has alright, it's going to turn out to be another Super Smash Brothers Brawl with the character add ons and delays. Already the racism card was played when the development of this game began, which brought it to its first standstill until they could link it with the original story line of the virus being birthed in Africa.

Come on now, this is getting rediculous and I'm sure a lot of RE fans will send it lots of hate mail to the company.

~Shwa