Faceless: Anonymity and the Internet

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Merc, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I believe I wrote a short piece about this some time ago, but I don't remember, so let's try this again. I'd like to open up a discussion about anonymity and the net and how that relationship affects us not only in real, physical life, but in the digital world.

Anyone who is aware of the internet dumpster known as 4chan (not work safe) knows of "anonymous". On the website, any can post on almost any message board they have, almost all of them post under the default title of "anonymous". Recently, news sources have been citing "anonymous" as an actual organized group of dangerous people.

So I ask you, how does anonymity affect you on the net? Do you abuse the power of being faceless? How so?

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

[​IMG]

I certainly relish the ability to be anonymous. However, I don't grief people or ruin their fun; I just enjoy being able to loosen up and be myself.

However, the internet by and large brings out the worst in most people. Great example: YouTube comments.

3. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Ugh, that's so chickenshit. I guess we could all accuse each other of it, what with these usernames and all, but the last time anyone tried that line on me I posted my name and address and told him to come on over.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Kaz touched on something I didn't include in my post and that's the fact that the internet allows people to be their worst possible selves. Do you agree?

5. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Anonymity is as weakening as it is empowering. Think about it, any semi-intelligent person surfing the web, is going to take anything you say with a grain of salt. Really I could say that I'm a published author or a starving actor maybe I'm a lobbyist in washington, I could claim to be anything, and only a naive fool would believe everything I say without questioning it.

6. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I don't hold back as much on the internet as I would in real life.

7. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I definitely agree that the internet allows people to be their worst possible selves but that doesn't mean that they have to either.

I am no worse online than i am in real life I'm the exact same person.

Anonymity and the internet allow people to say whatever they want to something without the real life responses it's easier to say stuff that you'd never say in real life.