• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Facebook Premium Subscription

wooly

I am the woolrus
Twitter co-founder Biz Stone today decided to offer some business advice for Facebook: launch a premium subscription service. For $10 a month, Stone figures the company could get rid of ads on its site for those willing to pay to go 'premium.' He says in part: ' Anywhoo, now that I’m using it and thinking about it, I’ve got an idea for Facebook. They could offer Facebook Premium. For $10 a month, people who really love Facebook (and can afford it), could see no ads. Maybe some special features too. If 10% percent of Facebook signed up, that’s $1B a month in revenue. Not too shabby. It’s a different type of company, but by way of validation, have a look at Pandora’s 1Q14 financial results. Of all Pandora’s revenue generators, the highest growth year-over-year by far (114% growth rate) is in subscriptions—people paying a monthly fee for an ad-free experience...
Twitter Co-Founder Biz Stone To Facebook: Start a Premium Subscription Service - Slashdot

So I'm sure there are lots of people on GF who use facebook, but could you ever envisage yourself paying the extra $10 a month to access an ad-free experience of the website? maybe with a few extras thrown in? What sort of extra bonuses would you want to see that might make you hand over the cash?

Personally I'd never pay for facebook no matter what extra bonuses they offer. I try and use facebook less and less, but I keep my account purely because none of the other social networking sites are popular among my friends so facebook still is incredibly useful for contacting people or organisin stuff.

I definitely think it's something facebook should do though. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would pay the monthly fee and it could bring in huge revenue. I can't imagine it putting many people off the site either, as long as facebook emphasise that you still get he regular facebook experience as you always did if you choose not to subscribe.

Iris

rainbow 11!
LOL oh my god that's hilarious. I hope no one buys it. So stupid. Ad block plus will hide some, though I don't think they do with all of them. I wish people would switch to Google +. One of these days I'm going to save my pictures from Facebook and delete it.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Depending on the features, I'd probably try it out. I pay for things on here and it's a lot less useful to me than FB.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Facebook has become so "normal" for peoples' daily lives that they are used to ads and things like that. People also are used to getting the basic features for free...I really don't think Facebook could sell a premium version unless they cut basic features. People don't want to buy what they're used to already having for free.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I would never pay anything for facebook. I'm pretty much always on the verge of leaving anyway.

wooly

I am the woolrus
LOL oh my god that's hilarious. I hope no one buys it. So stupid. Ad block plus will hide some, though I don't think they do with all of them. I wish people would switch to Google +. One of these days I'm going to save my pictures from Facebook and delete it.
Ha yeah, the subscription fee would pretty much be for people who don't know that AdBlock exists :p

I really liked the Google+ layout when I first got my invite but absolutely NOBODY I know uses it, so it's pretty much useless as a social networking site! With the advent of Google glasses and whatnot, plus all the integration with Gmail, Youtube etc. I think it will become popular in time. ireland is traditionally at least 5 years behind everywhere else though, so it will probably only become popular here by the time it's "evolved" itself into being half the product it used to be, much the same way that facebook did!

I really liked the look of 'diaspora'. A really simple, stripped down version of facebook/Google+, but with the emphasis that everything you put up is user owned, but I can't see that ever becoming popular here, if anywhere.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
You know, this is especially not something that Facebook should do in the current world of social media. How many other free sites of that nature exist now? If Facebook charged and the free account started sucking, something established (Twitter, tumblr) or new would replace it.

dDave

V.I.P.
I would never pay anything for facebook. I'm pretty much always on the verge of leaving anyway.
I've been feeling that way for a long long time (years). So far I haven't gotten around to leaving. Though I do spend significantly less time on facebook than ever before as of right now.

I could never bring myself to spend $10 a month on facebook. The very thought of it is laughable. :lol:

Are ads annoying? Yeah, but I'm so used to seeing them all over the internet that I hardly even notice them. Youtube is a different story though, they have video ads, many of which cannot be skipped (most can be skipped in 5 seconds though). If they couldn't be skipped... well, you know.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I wouldn't pay a one-time $10 fee, much less $10 a month. I, too, have considered deleting my account. I mainly only use it as a messenger now and could definitely live without it.