Facebook banned Breast Feeding pic

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"

Toronto (ECN) - In the United States according to the Right to Breastfeed Act, H.R. 1848 which was made into law in 1999, women are allowed to breastfeed on federal property. More than half of the States in the US have laws on their books that grant women permission to breastfeed in public areas, but nursing over the internet is still a murky area.

Facebook a social networking site that creates a virtual world where friends and acquaintances can come together and update each other on their lives regularly has found itself in the middle of a controversy.

Facebook has become a gathering place for protestors too.

On Christmas Eve 2008, Facebook revoked Kelli Roman privileges from using their site. She was accused of “misusing certain features on the site.” The crime: Roman posted a photo of herself nursing her baby. The picture was deemed “obscene” and removed from the sight. Roman is not alone, over the past year Facebook has been removing similar photos, citing violations to their Terms of Use. Last year in protest a social network group called “Hey Facebook, Breastfeeding is Not Obscene” was started. Since its inception in 2007, the group already has 10,000 members is planning their first ever virtual protest December 27th, 2008.

In response to the photo removals, Facebook’s spokesman Barry Schnitt defined the photos that violate the sites Term of Use as “photos containing a fully exposed breast” and are subject to removal from the site. He also added that photos that are removed are brought to their attention by users who complain. Schnitt also added that Facebook is not against breastfeeding as “Breastfeeding is natural and beautiful,” as long as the photos meet their standards they are considered appropriate and will not be removed from the site. The other social networking site MySpace has a similar policy and also removes what it deems as inappropriate photos.

Breastfeeding in public is not without debate either. In 2007 a group of women protested in front Applebee’s to show support to breastfeeding in public when a mother was asked to cover up while she nursed by a waitress. Stephanie Muir, the creator of the Mothers International Lactation Campaign (MILC) protest group argues that since women are allowed to nurse in public, the internet shouldn’t be any different. For the protest, the group has asked supporters to change their profile photo to a breastfeeding photo on December 27th and to also show up at Facebook’s headquarters in Palo Alto for a “nurse in.”

The group feels that removing the pictures is sending the wrong message to mothers everywhere. The lobbyists of the law felt it was a necessary step even though breastfeeding is considered a natural act.
I know in some circumstances, it can be 'I wish you wouldn't do that here now... X Y and/or Z is with me...' but at the same time, I know a lot of women can whip-out their breast and feed the Baby infront of you, and you don't get a glimps...
... ... ... no matter how hard you try.

What do you think of Breast Feeding in Public? Is their are time and place for it?

Blueyes

Registered Member
Actually this must be a reiteration of the story they did a few years ago isn't it? Because I remember something like this happening and there ended up being some womens for breastfeeding group that all started posting pictures of breastfeeding. They really need to get over themselves because women have been breastfeeding since the dawn of time and its never going to stop. If people are offended then they just shouldn't look. Of course you shouldn't stare either way.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
Actually this must be a reiteration of the story they did a few years ago isn't it? Because I remember something like this happening and there ended up being some womens for breastfeeding group that all started posting pictures of breastfeeding. They really need to get over themselves because women have been breastfeeding since the dawn of time and its never going to stop. If people are offended then they just shouldn't look. Of course you shouldn't stare either way.
Men have been peeing since the dawn of time too [too much coffee], but it doesn't mean they have to whip-out their penises and pee in public for all to see [and smell.]

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well Dino the two are very different. It's apples to oranges. I never really understood why peeing and breast feeding are always compared because the only thing they both have in common is that they are both taboo.

And if you want to be fair then fine. Peeing in public is bad. Neither gender should be allowed to pee in public. Breast feeding however does not expose genitals and therefore has been deemed ok. So fine, both men and women can breast feed in public. Do you want to let it go now or will you exercise your right? :rolleyes:

Like I said, apples to oranges.

Last edited:

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
Well Dino the two are very different. It's apples to oranges. I never really understood why peeing and breast feeding are always compared because the only thing they both have in common is that they are both taboo.
Both are fruit.

I'm not against breast-feeding in public, but sometimes a little common-sense and discretion is called for.

When a man pee's, he takes out his penis, and some people will see it, so it's best to be as private as possible, i.e in a designated room or the next best thing.
It's the same for a Mother when she breast feeds, it would do no harm to hide herself when feeding if indeed the circumstances show she'd be better-off doing so.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Also, there's a difference betweeen breastfeeding in public and posting pictures of it. Breastfeeding fulfills an important function - feeding your baby. Posting a picture has at best nominal value.

I'm not saying I'm against it, but it's something to consider.

Last edited:

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
As for the picture on Facebook, whoever owns Facebook OWNS Facebook. It's their show. If I were to post a picture here and Hybrix takes it down because he deems it offensive, I wouldn't bitch about it. It's his site.

As for breast feeding in public, I don't see what the big deal is. Babies have got to eat, it's natural, and breast feeding is far better for a child than baby formula. The peeing in public comparison doesn't hold any water, anyhow. Urine stinks, it's messy, public urination exposes your genitals by default, and adults are capable of waiting to urinate until they are in a bathroom. Babies have not developed self control yet. If that baby is hungry, it's going to cry. Now, personally, I would much rather have a woman breast feed her child than have to hear it cry constantly while the woman finds a place to do it in private. But then I really hate the sound of crying babies.

WesJones87

RayzorBlade87
Breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world, and it's better for the baby than a powdered baby formula.

I'm not against breastfeeding in public per se, but I am against the mothers who use it as an excuse to legally get their breast out for all and sundry to see. If you're going to breastfeed, at least either only expose just enough to allow the baby to feed, or wear some kind of coat or shawl to cover your dignity. It doesn't bother me, but some perverted men will watch and get off over it. :nod: