F1 Scraps New Point System

Discussion in 'Sports' started by English-Emo-Boy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

With just under a week to go before the new Formula 1 season starts bosses have come away from recent talks with red faces after scrapping proposed plans for a 'winner takes all' scoring system that would see the championship decided on actual race wins rather then the traditional points with a customary league table.

Not if you ask me I think it's a total cock up. This should all have been sorted out months ago when the last season came to it's dramatic conclusion.

The new scoring systam will however, come into force for the 2010 season.

What's everyone's view of this?

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

It may actually come into force this year unless any of the teams formally reject it.

Either way great news!

What I like about it is that it makes winning races count and the competition will be more fierce; if you are in second place you will do everything possible to get into first, you wont just be content with taking 8 points. Technically before you could win the championship without winning any races! It gets boring when you get good drivers who follow each other around, happy to just get the points. They should be racing to win every race and not just focussed on getting some points to add to the chamionship tally. You dont have to be consistently good, you have to consistently win to make the grade, it will show who the best drivers really are.

3. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I agree with Bananas here. The new points system will show who are the better drivers and will make drivers more motivated toward winning races and not just trying to stay in the top 8 for points. Overall, should help make it more interesting with the championship contenders all fighting for first place.

4. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree with you Nana's but the new system could potential ruin the sport.

The lesser racers who get pushed to the back because of inadequate cars would possible give up on the race altogether instead of fighting to get into the top eight for a possible couple of points which is how it is now. A system would have to be put in place to keep all drivers interested in the race.

It's a tough call but I feel they've made the right decision....for now!!

Nixola likes this.
  5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

The point system will still remain..... but it wont determine the overall champion.(unless it is a tie in race wins)

I can see a flaw in the system in that if someone wins a few races and then comes last in all the others he will beat a person who comes consistently second.

However with all the other changes that are being introduced I think the sport is going to get very exciting this year and the whole Mclaren/Ferrari domination are in the past.