Extra Buttons on Keyboards?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by dDave, Apr 20, 2008.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Well this thread may require some explaining.

Does anybody use the extra buttons on their keyboards?

I mean buttons such as

mute
    volume up
    volume down
    email
    internet

they launch applications faster such as firefox because all you have to do is hit a button and it goes.

If you don't understand what I am saying then click this link
    http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/keyboards/ms/nec4000/loresproduct1.jpg

you can see the silver buttons at the top of the keyboard, that is what I am talking about, those buttons help you do thing sextra quickly if oyu use them.

Personally I don't use anything with mine except for the volume buttons, I really don't see any point to them since I am so used to hitting the icon instead of hitting the button on the keyboard because not all computers that you use will have extra buttons for stuff like that but a lot nowadays probably do.

what does everyone else do with their extra buttons?

2. Hanzo_Hattori

Hanzo_Hattori For the Horde!

What we need is a panic button
    [​IMG]

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't have any of the extra media buttons on my current keyboard but I'll get them on my next one.

I really want a keyboard that splits the 0 button on the number pad in half and adds in a : because I could really use that when typing in times.

4. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

That would be disastrous. I'd push it until my finger bled, and probably ruin the keyboard in the process.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I use the volume. The other extras don't seem to do anything for me (ex: my docs didn't lead me to the folder).

6. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

My keyboard is a laptop one, so I don't have those extra media buttons. I actually have to use a Function button to turn on the numberpad which is intergrated with half the letters of the keyboard. Really annoying, so I don't bother using it.. much.

7. Eilt_Druin

Eilt_Druin Registered Member

I've got power, sleep, and suspend buttons but they don't work.

8. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

I use the mute and volume ones but thats about it.

I've also developed an obsession with pressing ctrl+w to get rid of stuff, buts those arent extra buttons

9. Spackerchip

Spackerchip Registered Member

My PC keyboard is ancient. So it has loads of Packard Bell preprogrammed website buttons, like a big ass "INTERNET" one in the center.

It's always turned off. :)

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

My laptop does not have any extra buttons .....one second.....it does have buttons

*presses lots of buttons, makes whiry noises and freezes & I ask myself why am I on my laptop when Im sitting at my desk next to my home PC*

*waits for whiry noise to stop and closes the 5 explorer windows, outlook, calculator, wmp and kills the annoying talking paperclip & looks across at home PC *

My home PC has shed loads of buttons, I use all the media ones; media player, play/pause, skip, volume and mute.

Calculator key comes in handy too.

I also have a load of pre-programmed commands on the function keys because Im a nerd and I can, things like open an application(photoshop etc) or open drive D:

Buttons I dont use; Magnify and zoom in/out, print, email, messenger, sleep, power, favourites, home.

Buttons I'd like to see; a Euro button so I dont have to dislocate my fingers doing Alt-Gr Ctrl 4 to get a € sign.

I also use loads of keyboard shortcuts which are handy but a nice big 'COPY' and 'PASTE' button would be nice, or a 'DAMN-IT' or '$H!T' button to replace CTRL-Z