External hard drives...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by pro2A, Jan 25, 2009.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

How long do external hard drives generally last? I have mine to store music and other media, I just don't want it crapping out on me.

I got mine like 2 years ago.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

We have one we got in 2004 and as far as I know it's still working. I didn't realise there could be some sort of limit to it. But just to make sure, we have several ones and do back ups of back ups.

3. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

I have to save everything twice on it, it has a habit of losing things :shake:

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I've had mine for three years and it still works well. I'm going to get a bigger one soon, but as far as I can tell, if you take care of it they should last for a good long time.

5. Jake

Jake Registered Member

None of my external hard drives have ever broken, but replaced due to the need of more space to back things up such as home videos, music, work etc

6. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

Just over 2 years for mine and I've had no problems. As long as you don't drop them, flip them around, and keep it away from magnets it should be fine. Data Recovery ain't cheap though, so if you have reason to worry I'd back up everything important on DVD.

7. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

How does one take care of it? It just sits there.

I defrag it when I can, but thats about it.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Well, "take care" is just a general way of saying obvious things like don't drop it, spill shit on it, and when you transport it, wrap it in something soft or protective to keep it from being hit or knocked around. Stupid stuff, you know? Like keeping magnets away from it! I've actually seen someone do that then wonder why their data was corrupted.

Schools really need to be required by law to teach classes on computer basics.

9. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

oops! i posted in the wrong thread! Ignore me!

10. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I think it all depends on what type of External Hard Drive you're using, WD, Maxtor, Seagate, etc.

Personally I have a 320GB WD that i got back in 2004, it still works perfectly, not a single problem.

We also have a newer 750GB WD, we got that last year, it works perfectly.

I've seen 1 or 2 Maxtor Externals go bad.

I don't really think there is a time limit.