External Hard Drives "Mybooks"

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Anyone here use an external source of storage such as the "mybook". Just recently I've gotten into them and I have to say I swear by them now. Simply for the sake of their simple functionality. I've got 2 that I'm using currently, one here at home that I store media files such as songs, videos, and pictures that would normally have taken up space on my laptop. The other I use is at work holds the important files I use everyday including some media files but mainly just Blueprints and other Documents.

with sizes ranging from 500gbs to even a whole Terabyte now all for under $100, I'd almost debate that an external storage drive like this is an absolute must have!

How 'bout you guys? anyone else use external hard drives? What do you use them for?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I have one just in case my computer dies. I keep all my music, media and pictures on it. Games and such I install on my external. Although I could install games on my external and play games on my laptop without having to install twice...

But yes they are good to have around.

A question.

Could I store an application or some other executable file (I don't know the computer lingo for the type of file I'm trying to describe...if someone does, please enlighten me) and run it off of an external hard drive?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That I am not sure of... I'll have to play with it a little later today and I'll get back to you on it.

I do recall a member once telling me they would install PC games on the External Hard Drive rather than the computer itself and then play the game like that. So I'd be easily convinced you could... but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I have been meaning to get one for the simple reason of I need more memory. I have a lot of music and documents on my laptop and the space is getting full fast. Good to know you recommend them.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Could I store an application or some other executable file (I don't know the computer lingo for the type of file I'm trying to describe...if someone does, please enlighten me) and run it off of an external hard drive?
This would depend on the program.

Certain programs require at least a small part of the file on the C: drive, usually for security and for also preset file paths.

Edit: To answer the OP.

Yes I have a portable drive, its only an 80gb USB powered one but it does mean I dont to find a power source, I just use it for file transfer from university to home. I also have numerous flash/pen/USB sticks that I loose, find and upgrade all the time.

I had a look at getting a firewire drive but decided it would be better to just add another internal drive instead.

Last edited: