External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computers' started by EllyDicious, May 9, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I bought an e.h.d today [500GB LG] though when I click on the icon to remove the device , it says : Samsung HM500Ji USB device.

-Is it really Samsung? or maybe the cover is just LG?

Also, when I attached it to one of my PC's usb port, the device made a strange beep. When I attached it to another usb port, there was no beep and the device worked correctly.

-Maybe there's something wrong the that usb port?

-Is it okay if I leave the hard drive attached to my PC, always? Is it harmful for the device [even if it warms up after a certain period while connected to the PC]?

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

The enclosure and drivers are probably provided by LG while the hard drive inside of the enclosure is Samsung. This is common for a lot of peripherals. You can actually buy just the enclosure and put any hard drive in it.
    Possible, have you tried it since? This sounds more like a software error (USB drivers, probably) than a hardware error (broken USB port). I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the USB port is important/needed/not working at all.
    It would be a good idea to keep it out in the open and the vents on the side/back clear of anything. I wouldn't worry about leaving it attached to your PC all of the time, though, as most of a computer's innards tend to get pretty hot. My laptop, for example, is warm to the touch all of the time but it also runs 24/7.

3. EllyDicious

When doing some search on the internet, I came to the conclusion that the Beep sound of device is a result of insufficient power from USB port in the PC.

I have 5 other USB ports so I don't worry about this that much.

Another question:
    Is it ok if I forget to remove[virtually or physically] the Hard Drive before shutting down the computer?

4. yourwebcrafter

yourwebcrafter Registered Member

Should be no problem whether you leave the hard drive attached when shutting down or starting up. I leave mine attached all the time. Though when I have it connected to my Vista machine it does sometimes make it hang when booting up, that is more of a Vista and my overly crowded internal laptop hard drive. On my Toshiba laptop running Win 7x64 haven't ever had that problem....

5. Doc

With plug-and-play technology you can unplug it from your computer any time, honestly. If you're writing any data to the hard drive it will just give you an error on the screen but the hard drive will be fine.

6. EllyDicious

Something else I want to ask.

When I shut down my PC, the HDD [still connected to the computer] keeps on working and the LED light is still on.
    Is that normal? Isn't the HDD supposed to stop working ?

So, if connected to the computer [turned off or on] the HDD never stops. Isn't it harmful?
    There is no Turn Off button on the HDD.

this is the USB cable .

[​IMG]

I leave the A-male connected to the PC [always] and I disconnected the B-male from the HDD.
    At first I try to safely remove it from the PC[virutally] and then I disconnect the B-male [physically]. While doing the latter, it makes a strange little noise because it stops immediately.
    Is it safe, though?

This is what I have
    [​IMG]
    Specifications: XD5 External Hard Disk IT Products

The manual also says :
    Do not pull out the USB cable while the external HDD is connected

What the hell does this mean?

7. Doc

Use the "safely remove hardware" deal at the bottom of the screen and you'll be able to unplug it at any time.

I wouldn't unplug it from the HDD, I'd unplug it from the computer.

The light you're seeing when you leave it connected is just showing that it has power, a blinking light means that the HDD is working at the time.

EllyDicious likes this.