• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Explosives found at Swedish nuclear plant

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nuclear plants have enough problems of their own without some nut trying to blow them up. It doesn't matter if the power plant is in another country, if it goes it could still effect you.

I don't live near any of these power plants so I don't think about them much. I don't think we should shut them all down but I think the security around them should be top notch because of the potential they have for causing harm.

Does anyone here live near one and if so does it bother you? What do you think about the security at these places? Do you think they should be shut down? What's your general thought on Nuclear Power Plants?

Explosives found at Sweden nuclear plant; Nation raises security alert at all 10 reactors

dDave

V.I.P.
The closest one to me is in Arizona. In the rocky mountains we don't really have nuclear reactors. I think that nuclear reactors are great though. They produce a lot more power and they really don't have a lot of negative side effects.

It does concern me, though, that someone placed a bomb in that one. That could cause a very severe problem.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
It's a scary thought, and I remember seeing a report sometime in the first 5 years after 9/11 that nuclear plant security in Missouri was pretty bad. To be honest though I worry more about environmental disasters than terrorist attacks on a nuclear plant in this part of the country. I think that in general they should up security at these places...ideally I'd like consideration of shutting these down after what Japan had proved about their safety (or lack thereof). On a security level, I don't think that a total shutdown would be necessary.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If I remember correctly the Japanese were warned that those plants they have had problems and should be replaced. Even if they didn't I don't think they should build them places where to potential for earthquakes is so high. I also don't think they should put them anywhere near a active volcano or even one that goes off every few hundred years.

I have a feeling security is pretty tight around them in the US but if its not they need to up it.