• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Expansion

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Rob Manfred was saying that expansion is a big possibility in the Major Leagues.

Personally, I think that's a bad idea. There are a few teams that are not getting great attendance. It would just be smarter to relocate one of those teams. Case and point, the Tampa Bay Rays. They're currently last in attendance. They're averaging just above 14,000 fans a game. That's simply pathetic. Move them somewhere fans can appreciate having a Baseball franchise.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm always fine with expansion. I'm a Tampa Bay Rays fan so personally I hope they can just find a way to get rid of that shit stadium and get some butts in seats. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved eventually. There have been rumors for years already.

I'd really like to see a couple of new franchises in new cities, and I'd enjoy seeing the Expos back as well.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Expand to new markets by relocation seems to make more sense to me as well.

With that said, parity is pretty damn good right now. I think MLB can afford to add a couple of teams but I'd prefer relocation instead.

Relocate the Cubs and Yankees or Cubs and Red Sox. I mean what?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I think that as long as the Tampa & Oakland situations aren't settled, they shouldn't proceed with an expansion. I know that people in Montreal are monitoring this closely (since they're probably gonna be the go-to city in case something happens) but I wouldn't be too worried if I were them. Even if it takes a couple more years, that means they have time to make a serious upgrade on the Olympic Stadium (turf, dugouts and everything) while they can sort out the possibilities of a new stadium for the future Expos. So, as opposed to the Nordiques situation in the NHL, I think it's better for Montreal to wait a while longer. MLB will still test the waters with more exhibition games (Red Sox probably will be in town next season) and fans will still have the opportunity to show their love & passion for baseball.