• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Exotic Animals Loose in Ohio

Dragon

V.I.P.
Woke up this morning and read the morning news. An exotic animal owner in Ohio released lions, tigers, bears and other animals that were on his property. After he let them loose, he committed suicide. The animals are being hunted and killed sadly.

Sheriff: Exotic animal farm owner killed self

The link below is a picture of some of the animals killed and it is graphic so look at your own risk.

(Warning: Graphic Image) The Exotic Animal Body Count | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Why are they being killed? Surely they could be captured and sent to at least a zoo or a wildlife park somewhere?

Dragon

V.I.P.
Why are they being killed? Surely they could be captured and sent to at least a zoo or a wildlife park somewhere?
Only 6 were spared and were taken to the Columbus zoo. I was wondering the same thing and I guess Jack Hanna said some vet tried to tranquilize one and the animal got upset and started charging towards the vet and they had to shoot it. The only animal they are looking for now is a monkey which is carrying herp b. Very infectious so I think Ohioans will become zombies soon.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I understand it they had to shoot it because it was attacking them, but all the other ones could have been spared. Zoo's all over the world pay thousands of dollars for animals like this and they would be looked after.

Who was this guy anyway, and how did he manage to end up with so many exotic animals?

Hiei

The Hierophant
Only 6 were spared and were taken to the Columbus zoo. I was wondering the same thing and I guess Jack Hanna said some vet tried to tranquilize one and the animal got upset and started charging towards the vet and they had to shoot it.

That's what I heard, too. I was wondering why they couldn't just tranq them, too, but I heard that it was either a mix of they didn't have strong enough drugs, or that the animals just weren't taking to the drugs. They were just getting angry when shot with the darts, so they had to put them down so they didn't start eating the people that live there.

This was kind of a scary story for me, seeing as how I have family that lives in Zanesville. My family is all safe and sound, but it as still crazy to hear that something like this can happen.

Apparently, it was just some random guy that had a small zoo on his land. I heard that he didn't have a permit or license or whatever he needed to have the zoo, so he just let them all go. Then killed himself.

Tragic on multiple levels.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I read he had license for the zoo, but he was just released from federal prison for illegal gun possession. And that he had dealt with police many times because neighbors would complain about escaped animals and animal cruelty.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Wow, the animal laws must be fucked up in Ohio to let some crazy guy with a "small zoo" end up with 18 bengal tigers amongst many other animals. Most large established zoo's don't have that many tigers. Didn't anyone question that?

And people have complained about him before, he was sent to prison and no one thought to take the animals away from him? And now this is the result. I'm seeing a lot of flaws in this story. Nothing is adding up.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
From what I read, eighteen Lions, seventeen Tigers and some Bears were shot, but I read it on Twitter, so no source to provide. It's just unfortunate to say the least.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
From what I read, eighteen Lions, seventeen Tigers and some Bears were shot, but I read it on Twitter, so no source to provide. It's just unfortunate to say the least.
18 Bengal tigers - dead
9 male lions - dead
8 female lions - dead
6 black bears - dead
3 mountain lions - dead
2 grizzly bears - dead
1 baboon - dead
1 wolf - dead
1 grey wolf - dead
1 grizzly bear - recaptured
3 leopards - recaptured
2 monkeys - recaptured
1 macaque monkey - missing

This is honestly one of the most fucked up stories I've read. This is the middle of freaking Ohio! How was this okay! A "small" Zoo license. Aren't there Government bodies in America regulating things like this? Too let some obviously deranged man, who has apparently been charged time and time again for animal cruelty keep all of these animals is just insanity, not too mention the fact that he owned them in the first place is just ridiculous. And then to just shoot them all.

I got mad reading about the little girl who was hit by a van in China. But reading about this has brought me to whole new levels of mad. This is just disgusting.

Last edited:

Iris

rainbow 11!
Ohio has very lax laws concerning exotic animals. I think people are hoping it changes after this. Also, I think he owned 27 acres of land for the animals.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Doc Pets 4
sunrise Movies & TV 1
Unity Bathroom Wall 7
Millz Food & Beverage 23
storm_ina_C_cup Pets 24