Existentialism vs. Destiny

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Existentialism; "a philosophical movement in which individual human beings are understood as having full responsibility for creating the meanings of their own lives".

Do you believe this, or do you prefer the idea of Destiny and Fate, that all decisions are predetermined, that we have no control of our lives?

This is also a question of God - can you believe in God without believing in Destiny, and vice-versa? Nietzsche was a follower of this ideal, and was not just an atheist, but physically hated the idea of 'God' or any all-powerful being as well as organized religion - especially Christianity.

Isn't existentialism about more than just having full responsibility for their own lives? I always thought it was much more metaphysical than that

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Such as what exactly?

Wikipedia defines existentialism as "a philosophical movement that posits that individuals create the meaning and essence of their lives, as opposed to deities or authorities creating it for them".

Nietzsche (God, I hate spelling his name), one of the founders of existentialism, literally despised the idea of God and destiny.

Either way, I don't believe our lives are mapped out for us, and that we are nothing more than puppets living out someone elses "great plan"

Life is what you make of it, nothing more.

Bliss

Sally Twit
My friend saw a psychic the other day and he was told he was going to be living in Australia in the next 7 years and that he will find his soulmate before October of this year. What a crock of shit. You can't tell someone when they'll find their soulmate. It just makes me think that he will now go out of his way to find the right guy for him because he was told by someone that he only had until October.
The whole moving to Australia thing will no doubt make him believe he has to be there in the next 7 years so he'll make it happen himself.

Nobody can tell you what's round the corner in your own life. I've seen too many accidents and mistakes to believe that.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
What about something like "choose your own adventure" type of life? There is a wide range of predefined outcomes but your choices in between still define what outcome you'll eventually get. Does that still fall under belief in fate/destiny if you recognize that you are somehow responsible for your fate?

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
The whole moving to Australia thing will no doubt make him believe he has to be there in the next 7 years so he'll make it happen himself.
Or he could purposefully not go there? :)

What about something like "choose your own adventure" type of life? There is a wide range of predefined outcomes but your choices in between still define what outcome you'll eventually get. Does that still fall under belief in fate/destiny if you recognize that you are somehow responsible for your fate?
Lol! Technically, you're still following the guidelines of a set plan. Besides, how would you know if you were actually making your own decisions? You may think you have multiple decisions, but it could be an illusion...

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Lol! Technically, you're still following the guidelines of a set plan. Besides, how would you know if you were actually making your own decisions? You may think you have multiple decisions, but it could be an illusion...
Ah. This reminds me of a book a friend was reading. She told me "free will is an illusion". Though I never got to ask what book it was. :D

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
There's that question that goes "What if NOT believing in destiny is part of your destiny?" or something like that. I don't like to believe in destiny. It takes the fun out of living life, if you ask me. Why should I even try if everything's already planned out and out of my control. If I am following a destiny, then I should just let go and let destiny take over. :-/