• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Executive Order Tarriffs

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Considering this is the Blaze, their source is CNN, and CNN's source is unknown, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Remember CNN said it was illegal for anyone to read the Wikileaks on Podesta that we had to rely on them to tell us what it says.

If this is true he probably is going to use it for leverage against places like China.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Tariff's are a hindrance to the free market and cause inflation. I don't like the idea of implementing them at all.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'm not sure where the tariff goes. If I have to pay an extra $5 for a $100 wholesale watch, I guess the federal government gets that $5? Essentially this is a VAT. VAT's are economic disasters. Once placed, it will never go away. It's a proposal that most politicians, particularly liberal pols have wanted for decades.
I believe they said it. This is the kind of thing Trump talked about during the campaign.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Essentially it's a VAT, and that $100 watch will go up in price since whoever is importing the watch will have to pay that tax. These are the kinds of protectionist policies that led to the Great Depression.

hepismis

Registered Member
I'm not sure tarrffs are the way to persuade manufacturers to keep their factories on US soil. It's been tried before, elsewhere, and it hasn't worked too well.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe we should be taxing imports from countries that tax ours. No wonder our businesses leave, anytime they try to import products into foreign countries they are taxed which keeps them from competing in those countries. Yet foreign countries can send it here with no taxes. That is hardly fair.

Unknown to most Americans, the United States is losing the ability to compete in global trade because of the little known foreign Value-Added Tax (VAT).

Foreign governments use this tax against United States producers as a means to prevent the importation and consumption of U.S. goods, while providing incentives for their countries to export their goods to the U.S.
The Foreign Value Added Tax: Making Our Exports Uncompetitive | Economy In Crisis

VAT Duty Rates by Country | ATA Carnet

hepismis

Registered Member
The old ideological difference between nationalism and globalism is behind the whole thing. Too much has been done for too long on purely ideological grounds. Your next president might represent a break from that.