Excuse me Sir, I mean Maam..

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Mirage, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Does anybody else think this will confuse kids? :shifteyes:

A school janitor spent the summer break having a sex change. Now when kids return to school they will have a janitor named "Brianna" instead of "Brian".

Worcester Telegram & Gazette News

I find things like this odd to say the least. Good luck to Brianna and hopefully she won't regret the decision... :shocked:

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

She's transgendering but have yet to go through sex reassignment surgery. Anyway, I have a feeling that transgender people are more "out" in the UK and are seen as less deviantly shocking.

They integrate better and people around them, although they will pass an initial shock, won't make it too much of a big deal enough to incite a national debate (like I imagine it would in the US). It's the impression I get when I read their tabloids :lol:. Brits are welcome to correct such impression.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

At our school we never talked or mentioned the janitor in any of our conversations. Heck, we rarely saw him. He only came out after lunch to clean up and after school.

I wish her the best of luck and hopefully she won't get teased by any of the kids if she runs into them.

4. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

No pun intended?:lol:

The article says she's the night custodian so the kids probably won't see her much anyway except at special functions.
    I think children are very accepting, it's only when they hear the adults whispering about the 'wrongness' of something that they become intolerant themselves.

5. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Can't say as I ever saw a one janitorial person at my school. Of course, I never really went looking for them either.

6. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

Unless the former "he" was popular with the kids in some friendly way I don't think they'll notice much unless they see the article and become aware. Eventually a few kids would catch on but unless they pay attention to the janitor closely it would take a while.

7. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Its still a bit of a taboo subject and that conservative streak is still there. You are right though I think we are liberal enough to dismiss and not arise to it, at least I hope not though Pugz posted an article recently about pregnant mannequins. :-/ There are a few comedians and talk-show hosts who cross-dress- (Dame Edna and Lilly Savage) so its in the public eye at least.

BTW you do realise that the article is about Oxford, Massachusetts, USA:nod:

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Actually I didn't. :lol: I saw Worcester and Oxford and thought of England right away.