• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Excitement without Technology

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
You find yourself in a world without technology, or at least nothing beyond the point of indoor plumbing and heating, and horse drawn carriages. No phones, much less iPhones. No Internet or social media. No Xboxes or even TV. You've inherited a trust fund that covers your basic needs and gives you a bit of pocket money. What are you going to do to amuse yourself and pass the time (of which you suddenly have a lot)?

- Chameleon

P.S. Yes, this is a follow up to my Boredom thread. :)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you find yourself without technology your going to be working from sunup to sundown just to feed yourself and take care of the livestock or watching over people that you hire to do it for you.

You do what people use to do for entertainment, read books, barn dances and other social gatherings. Still can spend that money on a fancy carriages, cloths, furniture, hiring people to labor for you.

dDave

V.I.P.
Sounds like the early 1900s to me, people were just fine.

It's not as if the entertainment we primarily use today is the only good form of entertainment, it's just what we've grown accustomed to.

I'd probably spend a lot of time reading, maybe learn to dance, learn a trade, write things, go to social gatherings, etc. Honestly, there's a lot that I wish I had time to do, modern technology stands in the way of that a lot of times.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Do you think you would enjoy living in such an environment or do you think you'd be bored out of your mind? If you had the choice to do something that would ensure technology didn't evolve much beyond this point, would you? Or would you let it unfold exactly as it had before?

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
People don't miss what they never had. Before modern technology people spent more time getting to know their neighbors, doing things together. So I doubt I would be bored out of my mind any more than I can be now at times.

Modern technology is great in many ways but it has brought its own set of problems. Societies should only go forward not backwards so I doubt I would do anything to stop it. Although I think some things we would be better off without.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
People don't miss what they never had. Before modern technology people spent more time getting to know their neighbors, doing things together. So I doubt I would be bored out of my mind any more than I can be now at times.
But you grew up in the modern world in an environment of constant stimulation. iPhones, Video games, TV, Internet, traffic, shopping malls, etc. How hard do you think it would be to adapt to an environment where suddenly none of that existed? I see some folks that I reckon would put a gun to their head rather than go through life without their iPhone.

Modern technology is great in many ways but it has brought its own set of problems. Societies should only go forward not backwards so I doubt I would do anything to stop it. Although I think some things we would be better off without.
The perception that technological advancement is akin to social evolution is, in my opinion, a common misconception. Whilst the advent of vaccines and certain other medical advances can't be argued as beneficial to society, most other technologies have arguably stunted social evolution in terms of mutualistic thinking and evolution of social priorities. Consider how society might now look if we had never gone down the technological road. What differences would there be with respect to how people treat each other and how social interactions and expectations would be different?

- Chameleon

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
But you grew up in the modern world in an environment of constant stimulation. iPhones, Video games, TV, Internet, traffic, shopping malls, etc. How hard do you think it would be to adapt to an environment where suddenly none of that existed? I see some folks that I reckon would put a gun to their head rather than go through life without their iPhone.

The perception that technological advancement is akin to social evolution is, in my opinion, a common misconception. Whilst the advent of vaccines and certain other medical advances can't be argued as beneficial to society, most other technologies have arguably stunted social evolution in terms of mutualistic thinking and evolution of social priorities. Consider how society might now look if we had never gone down the technological road. What differences would there be with respect to how people treat each other and how social interactions and expectations would be different?

- Chameleon
Iphone I don't have, no cell tower close to me, rarely visit a shopping mall, rarely play video games, there's not that much traffic where I live. I would miss TV and internet but I would get use to it if I had a good book to read or friends to socialize with.

I would miss being able to go to the grocery store and buy what I wanted for dinner. It would be a lot more work trying to butcher meat yourself or grow everything you eat using a horse drawn plow.

If we had never gone down that technological road people would know their neighbors better. People would make an effort to get together.

dDave

V.I.P.

- Chameleon
I think that in many ways technology has helped us be able to socialize more. Social media, phone calls, internet, TV, email, gaming, skype, etc. all helps with communication. It's not as if communicating with someone in person is automatically better. There are advantages in terms of detail, record, scope, and timing that benefit greatly from text based communication that we typically use over the internet.

I think studying how actual social interaction between individuals changes with technology is interesting though.

Iphone I don't have, no cell tower close to me, rarely visit a shopping mall, rarely play video games, there's not that much traffic where I live. I would miss TV and internet but I would get use to it if I had a good book to read or friends to socialize with.

I would miss being able to go to the grocery store and buy what I wanted for dinner. It would be a lot more work trying to butcher meat yourself or grow everything you eat using a horse drawn plow.

If we had never gone down that technological road people would know their neighbors better. People would make an effort to get together.
How can you stand living out in the middle of nowhere? :lol:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
How can you stand living out in the middle of nowhere? :lol:
I use to live in a large city for a short time and couldn't stand it. Toooo many people, too much noise. I love living in the middle of nowhere. Do wish our phone lines were better instead of laying on the ground.:( I can't make enough noise to bother the neighbors.

I have a cousin that would die if she wasn't within a mile of a major shopping center. Couldn't feed herself if she had to.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
That's just it. Social media seems to be often substituted for face to face interaction or the personal touch of a hand written letter. It's like the satire of the family at the dinner table where the mother texts her daughter to pass the salt. Many youth are becoming socially awkward in non-cyber relations and people don't come with emoticons... yet. In a society that never went techno, social groups would be smaller and more tight knit and interpersonal relations would be more... human. Don't ya think?

With the internet, you can do all your shopping online and check in with your followers on facebook, you can even Google whatever you're curious about. There's practically no need to ever leave the house, except to work, and even that is changing. Social media and the Internet are in many ways isolating people rather than bringing them together. Back in the day, you went to the store and likely got to know the shopkeepers (most shops were family businesses where the same people worked for years, rather than franchises with rapid turnover) and if you wanted to read you went to a library, another place with - OMG PEOPLE! <eek!> How many times do I see folks on the street zombied out with a gizmo held to their head or in front of their face virtually oblivious to the world around them. Folks even texting behind the wheel. THIS is progress? And with few exceptions I find the public at large is becoming more anti-social. Try saying hello to a stranger on the street and there's a good chance you're going to get looked at funny.

It's not even as social a world as it was 30 years ago. Customer service has gone to absolute sh~t. People don't make way or give up their seats for the elderly anymore. Everyone is in such a hurry (often to go nowhere) you practically have to wear cherry lights to cross the street so some dazed bonehead doesn't run you down in the crosswalk. This is not a more connected world... It's a more distracted world. Ooh, pretty lights, shiny objects, things that go beep and make funny noises. And with the collective wealth of the world at people's fingertips, why is it that fewer people seem to have any common sense? Sometimes it's maddening. How is having today's youth competing to see how stupid and inane they can be on video for hits and likes progress? It's not just that there seems to be a lack of common sense growing in society, but a full on rebellion against it. It's almost to the point where if I really didn't like a someone I could tell them they should never carry an umbrella during a lightning storm, knowing full well they would do it to spite me. Technology, as it has been implemented by society over the years, has made people busier, more distracted, more agitated, and more self-absorbed... Even in some cases stupider. There is your progress.

- Cham

P.S. Where's my robot maid and flying car I was promised in the 60's?!

Last edited: