• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Evidence that autism is not rising

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
“This new research provides the first direct evidence that much of the increase may be attributable merely to a reclassification of individuals with related neurological disorders rather than to an actual increase in the rate of new cases of autism,” said the study in the American Journal of Medical Genetics.
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/first-direct-evidence-that-autism-is-not-rising/

I'm not surprised about this. They are just getting better at diagnosing it. People that would have been entirely missed or misdiagnosed before are now being labeled autistic.

Thoughts?

Rapier

V.I.P.
Are you serious? Are you really downplaying the seriousness of autism?

Signs and symptoms of nonverbal communication difficulties in autism. Children with autism spectrum disorders have trouble picking up on subtle nonverbal cues and using body language. This makes the "give-and-take" of social interaction very difficult. Uses facial expressions that don't match what he or she is saying.
Autism Symptoms and Early Signs - Helpguide.org

www.helpguide.org/articles/autism/autism-symptoms-and-early-signs.htm

From the CDC
developmental disabilities (DDs) are common: about 1 in 6 children

I guess that is due to improved diagnosis.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/first-direct-evidence-that-autism-is-not-rising/

I'm not surprised about this. They are just getting better at diagnosing it. People that would have been entirely missed or misdiagnosed before are now being labeled autistic.

Thoughts?
I've suspected this for some time, and this article isn't the first time I've seen it suggested. As autism becomes more well-understood, it becomes easier to diagnose. Just a few generations ago, no one even realized that there was such a thing as autism and autism spectrum disorders.

Thanks for sharing this article.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.

Thoughts?
This is great news! It's good to see how better understanding leads to better diagnostics. Being able to differentiate between autism and learning disabilities will lead to much better and more specific treatment as well.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Are you serious? Are you really downplaying the seriousness of autism?

Signs and symptoms of nonverbal communication difficulties in autism. Children with autism spectrum disorders have trouble picking up on subtle nonverbal cues and using body language. This makes the "give-and-take" of social interaction very difficult. Uses facial expressions that don't match what he or she is saying.
Autism Symptoms and Early Signs - Helpguide.org

www.helpguide.org/articles/autism/autism-symptoms-and-early-signs.htm

From the CDC
developmental disabilities (DDs) are common: about 1 in 6 children

I guess that is due to improved diagnosis.
Where do you get that I'm trying to downplay it. Autism is just as serious as it was when many were being misdiagnosed. I think its great that we understand enough about it now that it isn't being confused with other disorders.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Rapier makes stuff up in his own mind. The article didn't downplay austism, you didn't downplay autism, and neither did anyone else in this thread. He see's only what he wants to see. Trouble is, what he see's isn't actually there at all, it's all in his mind.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I think there is something to be said for at least part of the increase being attributed to the "bar" being lowered for autism so more prescriptions can be handed out. This is certainly true for ADD/ADHD. It's gotten to the point where pets are now being prescribed Ritalin. That's not to say that autism rates might not actually be on the rise, but to what level may be difficult to determine on account of doctors going diagnosis crazy so they can push more pills. I think statistics for autism diagnosis rates would be more reliable out of Europe where there is less emphasis on pushing pills.

- Cham

Rapier

V.I.P.

Thoughts?

This is one of the many gems proffered by Big Pharma trolls/shills. It's been used for years. It's used to offset the more logical more vaccines more autism. The old "we've got a million of em" and "every trick in the book" apply.
The shills have told us autism was genetic. Genetic? Worldwide? That's rich.

"Autism spectrum disorder has no single known cause. Given the complexity of the disorder, and the fact that symptoms and severity vary, there are probably many causes. Both genetics and environment may play a role. Genetic problems."
Autism spectrum disorder Causes - Diseases and Condition

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases.../autism.../causes/con-20021148Mayo Clinic

Again, multiple causes, increasing yearly, simultaneously worldwide? Not a chance in hell.

If you review the symptoms of autism they are not subtle. And even if ignored they wouldn't be outgrown. There's no sophisticated examination to expose the autism.

So if we're told in 1985-95 that They are just getting better at diagnosing it. People that would have been entirely missed or misdiagnosed before are now being labeled autistic. That ship has sailed.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This study came from scientists at Penn State not a pharmaceutical company. The article also stated that with the increase in autism diagnosis there has been a equal decrease in diagnosis of other mental disabilities. So there hasn't been a increase. I'm not talking about what causes it, just that it isn't getting worse.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I think there is something to be said for at least part of the increase being attributed to the "bar" being lowered for autism so more prescriptions can be handed out. This is certainly true for ADD/ADHD. It's gotten to the point where pets are now being prescribed Ritalin. That's not to say that autism rates might not actually be on the rise, but to what level may be difficult to determine on account of doctors going diagnosis crazy so they can push more pills. I think statistics for autism diagnosis rates would be more reliable out of Europe where there is less emphasis on pushing pills.

- Cham
Autism isn't treated with medication.