• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Evgeni Nabokov released from KHL contract

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Hockey News: Headlines: Evgeni Nabokov released from KHL contract with SKA St. Petersburg

Decided to create a new thread because I want to get Kons attention. Nabakov asked for his release from his KHL contract due to "family issues"

Rumors are that he'll be back in the NHL sometime this year. He'll have to clear waivers first. Looks like Tampa Bay are one of the teams that are interested in Nabakov's services.

In all honesty, I had a feeling that he wouldn't complete his contract in Russia. Former NHL players love the big contracts, no taxes but most of them hate playing there.

Konshentz

Konshentz
How much of that money was upfront & guaranteed? Other than Tampa, any other teams rumored to be interested in signing him?

I'll be pissed if he gets signed to an NHL team & then helps lead them to a cup. Haha.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
KHL deals have no guarantees. And some contracts have been "renegotiated" (to lower $$) unilaterally by team.

Another team that is supposedly interested in Nabakov services is the Capitals, they've loss seven straight and they could definitely use his services since they don't seem to be confident with Varlamov and Neuvirth. I know Nabakov has sucked in the Playoffs, but he could really help the Capitals win that cup.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow, that sure didn't take long, did it?

Washington is an interesting destination...I bet that happens and if I'm a Caps fan I would HOPE that it happens.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
San Jose is just a losing culture when it comes to the playoffs, so I think Nabakov will be fine somewhere else come playoff time.

Although let's not dismiss family issues. Usually it's a cover for something else going on, but the odd time it is something serious going on with a wife or a kid. However, unless something to that nature is reported, I think we will see him in the NHL.

BTW, why does he have to go through waivers? He is not under contract to San Jose anymore so I don't understand why he goes through waivers. He is an UFA is he not?

Konshentz

Konshentz
San Jose is just a losing culture when it comes to the playoffs, so I think Nabakov will be fine somewhere else come playoff time.
He was responsible for as many losses as wins in the playoffs for San Jose. He may go somewhere & have success... but he may also go somewhere & fold again.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
He was responsible for as many losses as wins in the playoffs for San Jose. He may go somewhere & have success... but he may also go somewhere & fold again.
Good point, but alot of guys in San Jose never stepped up during the playoffs. Not absolving Nabakov from all fault, but there have been a few 1-0 and 2-1 losses for the Sharks in the playoffs. He had some bad games, but so did the guys in front of him.

I guess the onus is on him to prove he isn't a choker come playoff time.