• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Everything Bowl

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Might as well start a Bowl Thread.

Here's are some my thoughts...Well make seperate threads when the Bowl games actually start. This is just to talk about possible match-ups.

BCS: Oregon vs. Auburn
Rose: Big Ten champ vs. TCU (First at-large pick, contractually obligated)
Sugar: Arkanpig (Replacement for team lost to BCS) vs. Ohio State (second BCS at-large selection)
Orange: ACC champ vs. Big East champ
Fiesta: Big 12 champ vs. Stanford (final at-large pick)

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
It still is too far to tell as Auburn has a tough test against South Carolina and Oregon has to travel to Oregon State for their Civil War... but...

Oregon v. Auburn will be the title game
Rose Bowl will host Wisconsin and TCU
Sugar will have Arkansas (maybe?) and Ohio State
Orange will host Va. Tech and UConn
Fiesta will have Nebraska and Stanford.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
Well, the BCS bowl games have been announced. They are as follows:

Rose Bowl: #4 TCU vs #5 Wisconsin

Fiesta Bowl: #7 Oklahoma vs UConn

Orange Bowl: #4 Stanford vs #13 Virginia Tech

Sugar Bowl: #6 Ohio State vs #8 Arkansas

National Championship Game: #1 Auburn vs #2 Oregon

The Rose Bowl should be interesting to see how TCU stacks up to a quality opponent on the big stage. The Fiesta Bowl should be nothing short of a massacre, but you can never be sure, since Oklahoma is historically pretty bad in BCS bowl games (only 2-5). The Orange Bowl will be notable for Stanford since it's their first time in a major bowl game in quite some time, and Virginia Tech will be looking for that elusive major bowl win. Other than that, this is probably the least intriguing bowl game for me. Ohio State is going to be looking for a second consecutive BCS bowl win, and also looking to finally beat an SEC team in a bowl game (which they have never done). Arkansas is hoping to keep their momentum up and hoping this will being them back to consistent national prominence. And as for the national championship game, I am going to be hoping for Oregon to blow out Auburn, because fuck the SEC. But it still should be an interesting game.

Other noteworthy bowl games (in my opinion):

Capital One Bowl: Michigan State (#9) vs Alabama (#16)

MAACO Las Vegas Bowl: Boise State vs Utah (or as I will call it, the 'SOO Fucking Close' Bowl)

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Rivals.com College Football - Rivals.com 2010-11 Bowl Schedule/Results
There is the complete list.

BCS Picks:
Rose Bowl: #4 TCU vs #5 Wisconsin
-- Wisconsin is too good. Will be CLOSE. 24-17
Fiesta Bowl: #7 Oklahoma vs UConn
-- Not even close. 35-14
Orange Bowl: #4 Stanford vs #13 Virginia Tech
-- Luck will carry the team to a W. I'm talking the QB. 27-21
Sugar Bowl: #6 Ohio State vs #8 Arkansas
-- Hardest to pick. Could be shootout, could be defensive. 17-10
National Championship Game: #1 Auburn vs #2 Oregon
-- Close to call, but LaMichael James will carry them to a title. 24-14

My BOWLS TO WATCH:

Chik-Fil-A Bowl:
Florida State vs. South Carolina (Dec 31st)
-- Depends if Ponder starts. 14-13

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl:
Nevada vs. Boston College (Jan 9)
-- Fellow grad of my HS playing RB at BC. They win (I hope) 28-14

Sun Bowl:
Miami vs. Notre Dame (Dec 31st)
-- Interesting matchup. Closest bowl for me to call. Might go OT, most likely won't. But I will call this one down the middle. 24-21/OT

NOTE: I will be watching every bowl from the 18th up until the 6th. I have a cruise to go on from the 7th until the 15th so... yeah... I will post my thoughts on each bowl.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Have fun with that (watching every game). I can't bring myself to watch Florida International play Toledo. Unless of course I have money at stake for a Bowl Pick 'Em, which I probably will. We should do one of those here, just for fun.

Some interesting matchups. I'll definitely be cheering for Oregon over Team SEC.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Have fun with that (watching every game).
Thanks. I'm going to need it. Lots of football!

I can't bring myself to watch Florida International play Toledo.
I am actually interested in that matchup. FIU is a rapidly improving team in a small conference, and Toledo has an offense that can basically rip any team open (as long as they can get past their opponents' defense).

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Here are my picks for the BCS bowl games:

ROSE BOWL: Wisconsin is a good team, but I think TCU will show people why they belonged in the National Title discussion all season. Great defense, solid ball-control offense. TCU 23, Wisconsin 20.

FIESTA BOWL: UConn is damn lucky the Big East has a BCS bowl spot. They might not be so happy when this game is over. Oklahoma 45, UConn 14.

ORANGE BOWL: Intriguing matchup, although I'm with you K-Spice, I'm taking the quarterback Luck. Stanford 31, V-Tech 24.

SUGAR BOWL: This is a harder one. I think Arkansas will jump out to a first half lead, but Ohio State will make better adjustments and take the game in the second half. Ohio State 28, Arkansas 20.

TITLE GAME: I really don't know. Both teams are really good, I guess that's why they are playing in this game. I just like Oregon's offense more and I don't think Auburn will be good enough on defense to prevent the Ducks from putting up some points. Oregon 34, Auburn 21.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Yeah, Squeak. TCU can shut up a lot of haters with a win in Pasadena.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
My picks are totally different.

Rose Bowl: I think Wisconsin could roll over TCU. TCU hasn't played anyone nearly as physical as Wisconsin. Everybody talks about the Badger's running game, and for good reason. They have the best offensive line in the country and three star running backs. But their passing game is so underrated. Scott Tolzien completes 74% of his passes. They have good receivers and one of the best tight ends in the country in Lance Kendricks. Ohio State couldn't stop their running game even with 8 or 9 players up near the line of scrimmage. Commit that many to stopping the run and they'll burn you through the air. Their pro-style offense is just a thing of beauty and is really refreshing and enjoyable to watch, especially in a time where almost every other team is running some form of the spread offense. Wisconsin 38, TCU 20

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma is the obvious choice here. They have so much speed on both sides of the ball. DeMarco Murray is one of my favorite running backs to watch even though they are primarily a passing offense. UConn doesn't deserve a BCS bowl. Their offense has really struggled this year. They only scored 10 against a terrible Michigan defense. They were shut out by Louisville. And they didn't score an offensive touchdown the other day against South Florida. I just don't see how they're going to score enough points in this game to be competitive. As long as Oklahoma doesn't turn the ball over more than three times, they win comfortably. That said, they have lost five BCS bowls in a row, including major upsets to Boise State and West Virginia. UConn isn't nearly as good as those teams though. Oklahoma 52, UConn 10

Orange Bowl: This is the hardest one to pick. Stanford has been impressive all year, but they haven't really beaten any great teams. I guess you could say the same about Virginia Tech. Between both teams, the only win against a currently ranked team was VT's win over FSU. There are things to like about both teams though, but I feel like whoever I pick is just a coin flip anyway. I'm gonna go with the Hokies. Virginia Tech 31, Stanford 27

I'll do the other games later.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Orange Bowl: This is the hardest one to pick. Stanford has been impressive all year, but they haven't really beaten any great teams. I guess you could say the same about Virginia Tech. Between both teams, the only win against a currently ranked team was VT's win over FSU. There are things to like about both teams though, but I feel like whoever I pick is just a coin flip anyway. I'm gonna go with the Hokies. Virginia Tech 31, Stanford 27

I'll do the other games later.
It is definitely hard to pick this one. I know how you feel. I too will have picks closer to the start of the bowl season. We do have a little less than two weeks to wait!