• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Divisive "Every criminal in the US has a mental disorder"

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
On the other hand, I don't think having a mental disorder is a prerequisite to being a terrorist or a gangster. There's a huge difference between committing crimes for pleasure and committing them for ideological purposes or doing it for a living or for survival.

Kids from poor urban areas, for example, might learn to fend for themselves by joining a street gang and dealing drugs and defending their turf from rival gangs and running from the cops. That's survival for them, a basic human instinct. The mafia and white collar criminals are all financially motivated, driven by greed, another human instinct. Domestic violence might be fueled by anger or vengeance. Again, those are human instincts. So can instinct be considered a mental disorder? Personally, I don't believe so.
I think at the very least you would have to be a sociopath to be a terrorist or gangster, you couldn't feel empathy for others and do what these people do. All mental disorders aren't easily recognized but can be the cause for bad behavior. I think you can have a mental problem and still know right from wrong unless you are a raving lunatic.

I would agree you don't have to have a metal disorder to get caught up in a gang, many do that out of fear if they don't join they will come after them but I bet some of these people do of varying degrees.

White collar criminals probably don't have a mental disorder. Most non violent criminals don't but I bet some do. People that beat their spouse I would argue probably do have some sort of mental disorder. Once again they most likely know right from wrong but have problems with controlling anger.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
White collar criminals probably don't have a mental disorder.
I would argue that white collar criminals perhaps feel even less empathy for the lives that they ruin than even some terrorists or gangsters do. Terrorists might view their victims as necessary victims of war or as fulfillment of their religious duties, but they could still very well empathize for them.

I think society tends to view white collar crime differently only because it's non-violent and the criminals are of a different socioeconomic status, but lives are destroyed by it all the same. You think Martin Shkreli feels anything for the people who might have been impacted by his decisions?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I have a hard time believing that religious terrorists like ISIS feel any empathy whatsoever about anyone, including their own. I agree that white collar criminals aren't exactly the most empathic but to suggest that they're somewhat lower than people justifying the most vile & cruel acts by imposing their vision of the world on the majority, that just doesn't fly with me.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
They're soldiers who are trained with techniques that dehumanize the enemy in order to remove emotion from the battlefield and help carry out a mission more efficiently, just like our soldiers are. We might not agree with their beliefs or their objectives, but it doesn't mean they're mindless killing machines who take pleasure in death and destruction. Believe it or not, but terrorists suffer from the same aftereffects of war that our soldiers do.

Here's an interesting read about PTSD in the Taliban.

Do the Taliban Get PTSD?
“I’d say 100 percent of Taliban have suffered and seen enough death and destruction to become mentally sick,” says a senior Taliban intelligence officer who covers eastern Afghanistan. “There is no Taliban member who has not suffered a big mental shock from combat, explosions, the loss of fellow fighters and friends.”
They're bad people, but they're still human. They just believe what they're doing is right, that it's for the greater good. And that's different than someone who knows what they're doing is wrong and feels absolutely no remorse for it, like a white collar criminal. That doesn't mean I think white collar criminals are "lower" than terrorists. That's nonsense. I think that from a moral or psychological standpoint, they're two completely different things.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would argue that white collar criminals perhaps feel even less empathy for the lives that they ruin than even some terrorists or gangsters do. Terrorists might view their victims as necessary victims of war or as fulfillment of their religious duties, but they could still very well empathize for them.
If they can't feel empathy then they are probably sociopaths but I doubt all white collar criminals are.

If they are viewing someone as a necessary victim then they are nuts, maybe through brainwashing but they are nuts and I doubt they empathize with anyone but their god. A white collar criminal probably has more sympathy for their victims than an ISIS member would. People that drown people in cages, burn them alive or chop their heads off can't be dealing with a full deck.

I think society tends to view white collar crime differently only because it's non-violent and the criminals are of a different socioeconomic status, but lives are destroyed by it all the same. You think Martin Shkreli feels anything for the people who might have been impacted by his decisions?
I have no idea, the man could have been a sociopath and if he was he probably didn't but unlike ISIS he didn't torture, rape or behead anyone.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I have no idea, the man could have been a sociopath and if he was he probably didn't but unlike ISIS he didn't torture, rape or behead anyone.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but torture, rape, and executions have been common war practices throughout human history and it's only since the advent of the Geneva Conventions that these things are even considered war crimes. Hell, Donald Trump openly supports torture and targeting of terrorists' families, and many people in this country still support capital punishment.

Times change and with it so too do society's moral codes and tolerance towards certain behaviors, but human psychology has remained the same. ISIS might be living 1,500 years in the past with their archaic beliefs, but it doesn't mean they have mental disorders.