• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Every cliche about the Tea Party protest is true

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
about the Wisconsin protesters:

Cliche #1: It is an astroturf movement
DNC Caught Organizing Wisconsin Protests - Wisconsin Protests - Fox Nation

Cliche #2: They are racist
YouTube - Bad Jew
Alleged SEIU Protesters Heckle ‘Uneducated’ Black Tea Partier, Ask if He Has Children He ‘Claims’ | The Blaze

Cliche #3: They have violent rhetoric
Dem Rep Tells Union Members: ‘You Need to Get a Little Bloody When Necessary’ | The Blaze
‘Take the Bastards Down’: SEIU’s New Favorite Song Has Violent Ring to it | The Blaze
YouTube - Rhetoric vs. Reality: Liberal Protest of Gov. Walker's Budget Repair Plan

Cliche #4: They are going against the will of the people
67% Disapprove of Legislators Fleeing Wisconsin to Avoid Vote - Rasmussen Reports

Cliche #5: They are violent
‘That’s Assault!’: Union Protester Whacks Young FreedomWorks Activist | The Blaze

Cliche#6: They are stupid
Mega Math Fail: Top Teachers Union Honcho Claims $26,000/Year = $500/Month! | The Blaze

This post took me about 5 minutes to gather a few links of actual protesters living up to the cliches that were so often thrown out about the tea party. However, when I ask for proof that the tea-party is actually racist, violent and extremist nobody can produce it. Makes you wonder, huh?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I believe the reason those clichés exist is because a good portion of the media only focused on the more extreme members. The moderate, sensible members were considered too boring to show viewers, so they only showed people the "racist, violent and extreme" members to keep ratings up.

Go down to #8 on this Cracked article (yes, I know it's Cracked, but their serious articles make damn good points)
9 Major Stories Everyone Got Wrong This Year | Cracked.com

shelgarr

Registered Member
And as there is with any group, there are the fringe fanatics. Never should we use the extremes to define the rest of how this group or any group should be viewed. We leave it up to rational and intelligent people to discern past the media's capture of events.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's the same reason people think Obama is a trying to destroy America, that building a mosque will be a victory for terrorism, and the same reason people think thought that communists hid in every dark corner: sensationalism. Sure there's plenty of tea partiers that don't fit these stereotypes, yet it's the select few that always ruin it for the many. Any popular group with more than a handful of participants knows this. If one guy out of your club is a nut, suddenly, you're all seen as nuts. Pretty simple logic.

Doesn't change the fact that groups have to do their best to keep themselves separate from those who are using their cause as a vehicle to support their own agenda be it racist or extremist in nature. For example, if I started the "Delicious Pie" Club and someone starts publicly speaking about how the glory of the Delicious Pie Club will lead to the end of the Mexican infestation of the United States, then I'm going to make sure people know I have nothing to do with that guy and I will make sure to shut him up.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The problem is the media was very quick to paint The Tea Party as racists without any evidence, yet when there actually is evidence of racist comments like here, it isn't presented by the media.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
There should be far less foolish slander and more truth in Government, and the media.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Helluva lot easier said than done in this country, Ilus.

Also, the problem with that is that each side is dumb enough to believe they're being told the truth, unfiltered.

shelgarr

Registered Member
There's not a lot a group can do to denounce the fanatics. There isn't enough organization in the TP or some designee that comes on and says "mr anonymous with the racist sign" is not what we are. Even Bush or Obama don't denounce a party members with fanatical principles like Pat Robertson or Rev Wright. I remember wanting the same admission from public Muslims or my personal Muslim friends to denounce the extremists responsible for 911. Didn't come enough.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
There's not a lot a group can do to denounce the fanatics. There isn't enough organization in the TP or some designee that comes on and says "mr anonymous with the racist sign" is not what we are. Even Bush or Obama don't denounce a party members with fanatical principles like Pat Robertson or Rev Wright. I remember wanting the same admission from public Muslims or my personal Muslim friends to denounce the extremists responsible for 911. Didn't come enough.
There's plenty they can do . . like publicly denouncing them. It's not that hard. Well, for a non-politician anyways.

If your group is commonly being portrayed as loud mouth bigots, don't you think you'd try to do something to separate yourself from them? For the Tea Party, the answer is a clear no. Why? Because they need all the support they can get, even from the idiots. So it's still not very admirable, but I think it's a plausible theory as to why the Tea Party doesn't try to avoid being connected to those sorts of people. What they need is a leader or two that embodies what they really want (which I always thought was less government) and not let people hijack their cause just for the sake of ratings like Palin or Beck or any of the conservative puppets. I liked the Tea Party when it began but after all this publicity, I think they have some recovering to do.

shelgarr

Registered Member
My point is who is the "they" that the Tea Party can designate to do that? And both Republican and Democrat have individuals as well that give them a bad reputation. Which politican would you choose to be the spokesperson? The Tea Party is a grass roots movement....hardly a political party. The media hates any honest courageous uprising. I've seen the pictures too, I've see the articles too....just like you. Yet, I've also seen many reports of the complete opposite. As a media victim, you are making a decision what to believe, but that doesn't mean it's true. But if you take the evidence of why the group was originated, what their objective is, you would see that there is no room or reason for racism and it is completely inconsistent with their cause. There's been ample solid representation of what they stand for, that I cannot be swayed by the intentions of angry resentful intimidated weakened people that want to destroy and sabatoge.