• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ever Read The Entire Bible??

Sim

Registered Member
No. I've read most of the New Testament (except for a few letters, I don't remember which exactly, and only glanced through those I read), and only some parts of the Old Testament (The five books Moses, but skipped a few laws especially in the later parts. I skipped most of the history books, only read a few excerpts here and there. Then I read the book Hiob (I like it very much!) and some random Psalms, and only Jesaja from the prophets, IIRC.

But I am planning to read the entire Bible again soon, starting with the New Testament -- but first, I have to finish my lecture of the Muslim Quran (or rather, a translation of it). I've read about half of it within the past few days.

Yesterday, I bought a couple of books on the topic of Christian theology in a second hand bookstore, to get a better understanding of what to take a special look on when reading the Bible. Along with them, I also found a nice handy copy of the New Testament only, in a modern German translation (the common Martin Luther translation is rather outdated and a pain to read, IMHO), so I should be prepared for the task now. :lol:

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
Forgive me, and this is coming from someone who knows diddly squat about religion.....but where does it show, that God himself wrote the Bible??
The Bible is man-made......who knows, maybe somebody decided to flip flop a few words around, to make it look a little better or something~

kitchendame

Registered Member
Forgive me, and this is coming from someone who knows diddly squat about religion.....but where does it show, that God himself wrote the Bible??
The Bible is man-made......who knows, maybe somebody decided to flip flop a few words around, to make it look a little better or something~
I read the Bible every day. I have read it now five times through, and the more I read it, the more impressed I am. It's an amazing book.

Dabs--you asked where--2 Timothy 3:16, 17--"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I read the entire Bible over a six month period this year. Much of the Old Testament can be a little boring and tedious to read or hard to understand, but it's a good experience and there's so much to learn from it.

kitchendame

Registered Member
I read the entire Bible over a six month period this year. Much of the Old Testament can be a little boring and tedious to read or hard to understand, but it's a good experience and there's so much to learn from it.
Yeah, especially when you get to the begats and the numbering of the twelve tribes of Isreal! But I agree with you, and even those parts are interesting if you do a little historical research and find out why those "boring" bits are there.

Dabs

Registered Member
Yeah, especially when you get to the begats and the numbering of the twelve tribes of Isreal! But I agree with you, and even those parts are interesting if you do a little historical research and find out why those "boring" bits are there.
Now this, I whole-heartedly agree with and I do recall seeing the word "begat" quite often in the big book~
But, half the words are hard to pronounce.....and I just don't know how to say this without offending someone......it's totally boring.
If I read a book, I want it to keep my thoughts, keep me intrigued, keep me wanting to read more....and well...I never can get past the first chapter of the Bible without wanting to toss it out the window *sigh*

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Now this, I whole-heartedly agree with and I do recall seeing the word "begat" quite often in the big book~
But, half the words are hard to pronounce.....and I just don't know how to say this without offending someone......it's totally boring.
If I read a book, I want it to keep my thoughts, keep me intrigued, keep me wanting to read more....and well...I never can get past the first chapter of the Bible without wanting to toss it out the window *sigh*
The Bible isn't just a book, and if you read it expecting for it to read like a story you're going to have a really hard time with it. It does contain a lot of stories, but it also contains historical records, laws, letters, poetry and psalms, as well as prophecy.

Also, I would recommend not trying to read it from front to back. It is extremely difficult to read it that way.

Reactions: Sim

Sim

Registered Member
The Bible isn't just a book, and if you read it expecting for it to read like a story you're going to have a really hard time with it. It does contain a lot of stories, but it also contains historical records, laws, letters, poetry and psalms, as well as prophecy.

Also, I would recommend not trying to read it from front to back. It is extremely difficult to read it that way.
Agreed. Reading it without an introduction or guide is rather hard, and it doesn't do justice to the different books to just see them as chapters in one big story.

It helped me a lot to read an introduction first, that explained which books belongs to which group, what they are about in general (i.e.: "Five Books Moses -- the fundamental basis of Jewish belief, creation of the World to the Jewish people receiving their laws", "Poetic books: Collection of teachings and songs to deepen faith and as proposals for prayers", etc).

Like that, I got a feeling about how to read each book, what to expect from it, how important it is in context and how to make a selection (which books to skip at first, without losing to much of the general experience).

For me, it was maybe not so much the content that drew me into the Bible, but at least as much the context: When you think of this particular people, the Jewish people, until today, and its remarkable history and religion, it's exciting to learn what this culture based on. It explains a lot about the peculiar connection between religion and people, nation in case of the Jews, that is unique to modern peoples. Many modern nations, such as the USA or Germany, have their own national history, but their nationalism is by far not that closely connected to religion -- but the Jewish have a religion whose sacred texts tell the story of their nation from the very beginning, several thousand years ago! And although it's not a history book in a scientific sense, but very mixed with myths, it's still the basis of Jewish identity up to today.

I'm not sure if that's everybody's cup of tea, but I find that extraordinarily thrilling -- unlike myths of other ancient peoples, like the Babylonian Gilgamesh epos or such, it's still very vivid up to modern times and today.

And then, of course, the New Testament makes many things that happen today in our Western societies much more understandable. Ancient Greece and Rome, as well as modern Enlightenment are just one pillar or our mindlife today, after all -- Christian religion has shaped it just as much, even though the explicit power of religion has been fading.

One thing I found remarkable, for example, is that so many sayings we still use today have apparently originated from the Bible. I didn't know that, and it was very interesting to learn about the original context. :lol:

konboye

Registered Member
Jesus Sim, how about you summarize your posts once in a while.

The Bible is probably the most important book in human history. It references every aspect of life on earth, or is it the other way round? Could easily solve all our problems easily if you know where to look.

Sim

Registered Member
Jesus Sim, how about you summarize your posts once in a while.
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't do that ... it's always been a problem for me to find out which parts can be cut for that the whole thing still makes sense. :lol: