• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ever been cheated?

karenlyn

Registered Member
Have you ever purchased something from a seller that turned out to be a fake (antiques, etc.)?

Awhile back, I bought a signed book for my husband for his birthday. When it came, I looked at the actual signature on the internet and realized mine was a fake.

Fortunately it wasn't very expensive, because even though I reported it, nothing was done.

katharina

Registered Member
Have you ever purchased something from a seller that turned out to be a fake (antiques, etc.)?
That's really lousy about your husband's book. :( I've never been cheated by a seller, but I've been seeing pretty many instances lately of items being sold as designer items and aren't really that.

Melos

Registered Member
That is lousy. I've never bought anything like that that could be faked, so I've never been cheated in that way.

Plumley

Registered Member
I once bought something from a seller that was obviously fake. He'd described it as probably real but he wasn't sure, then went on to list "facts" that suggested it was real. The picture with the listing was very flattering to the item. There were seven or eight of us duped with similar listings. We complained but were still out our money.

karenlyn

Registered Member
Man, that stinks. I guess he kind of covered his butt by stating that it could be fake.

I don't mind buying fake designer items... as long as I know they're fake.

katharina

Registered Member
Man, that stinks. I guess he kind of covered his butt by stating that it could be fake.

I don't mind buying fake designer items... as long as I know they're fake.
That's what I don't understand... many of us can't afford a thousand dollars for a designer... whatever it is, purse, jeans, whatever... but might gladly pay $200 for a reproduction. So why not advertise it as a reproduction and have a lot more people buying it than pretending it's real and opening up to lawsuits or just plain trouble? I just don't get some people. :shake:

palefrost

Registered Member
So far so good. I bought a James Dean Doodle years ago when Amazon was having auctions and i made sure after i got it to checked out by calling the auction house and getting the listings and copy's about its authenticity. That's the only thing i bought that i was concerned about. Ive bought some autographs but so far i haven't had a problem verifying them. Its all silly celebrity stuff though and not serious antique type stuff. That i would be scared to buy online now.

SouthernGal

Registered Member
I don't know if you'd call this 'cheated'...

Once I ordered a paperback book from the internet. It was by one of my favorite authors, and it was one her older titles that was out of print (that I had never read) I was SO excited!!

So, the book gets here... the entire front cover is *gone*. It has been ripped off completely. The first quarter of the book has yellow stains on the edges, and pages are curling.

I was LIVID! The seller insisted that he divulged the condition of the book. But, when I went back... I didn't see if listed. He said he THOUGHT he had divulged it. Never offered me a refund or anything!

It was only a few dollars, so I didn't make a big stink. But, I didn't give him positive feedback.

palefrost

Registered Member
I dont understand sellers like that. When i list something i go over board and list every little thing. I dont want anything coming back!

karenlyn

Registered Member
I don't get it either. Sure, selling dirty might make you a few extra dollars here and there, but you'd think it would do more damage than good. I guess people like that rely on others to let things slide. And for a few dollars, I guess they usually do.