• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

euthanasia

redroses

Registered Member
are you for or against the legalisation of euthanasia?
basically just discuss your views

im in two minds about it, i think it would be good if the person could decide for themsleves, or if a person is in a serious accident and left like a vegetable with no life to live, we do this for our pets, put them out of their misery so why not ourselves?

if i was ever in a serious accident and say left completly paralysed or if i was dying a slow painful death i would want the option to end my life in a dignified less painful manner

the reason i would be against this is some people might ask for a senial relative to be given the injection for the sake of getting thier hands on the persons money etc.

JaneSmith

Registered Member
Assisted suicide is legal in Montana, Oregon and Switzerland.
When most people are asked how they want to die, their answer is in their bed surrounded by loved ones. This is the only dignified way to pass.

Unfortunately the medical system (which has bankrupted us) has extended life at the cost of allowing people to suffer longer so they can pay their doctors, hospitals, and medical services.

There is some validity to Obamacare in that we shouldn't go to all extents to save lives. That defination is the elephant in the room that needs to be talked about. At some point we all have to die. Let's make it clear about the choices we have and not limit those choices.

Dabs

Registered Member
Me? Oh boy, I'm all for it. I say if a person wants to die, let him make his way out. Of course, I mean this if someone is sick and in pain and there appears to be no hope left. Instead of wanting them to lie there and suffer, sure, I say they should be able to make that decision. I would want to make that decision if that situation ever happened to me.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Only if the person is in a lot of pain and has actually stated that it is their wish. They'd also need to be of sound mind for me to agree.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I'm all for assisted suicide. Hell, I'd even be willing to take on the burden of helping these people pass. I hate to say it so bluntly, but my thought is that the world is so vastly overpopulated right now and it's not slowing down at all. Through the advancements in medical science, like JaneSmith pointed out, people are living so much longer so that drug companies can make so much more money at the expensive of the pain of others. Why find a cure for something when that would eliminate the need for vaccinations and such.

I'd say that I'd only help people that had terminal illnesses or were vegetables, but in the end, we're all going to die. And if someone's gone through years and years of therapy for depression and they've simply lost the will to live, then why not? Call me Kevorkian but I'd still feel like I was doing a good service. Releasing people from their own personal hell on earth.

JaneSmith

Registered Member
The whole control over death thing started with the Holy Roman Empire I think. If there were more subjects of the state then the economy was thriving. The Holy Roman Empire defied the Agricultural Era which knew all about natural death and the farm and the environment.
Then there's also that God thing, if God allows you to die then the Holy Roman Empire has control over your death too since they were the almighty messengers.

I'm a farm girl and believe the Inuit tradition. When you are too old and sick and can't eat then you are sent out on the ice as polar bear food. I told my mother-in-law that I was going to do that when she was too old. She laughed.

Dabs

Registered Member
I'm all for assisted suicide. Hell, I'd even be willing to take on the burden of helping these people pass. I hate to say it so bluntly, but my thought is that the world is so vastly overpopulated right now and it's not slowing down at all. Through the advancements in medical science, like JaneSmith pointed out, people are living so much longer so that drug companies can make so much more money at the expensive of the pain of others. Why find a cure for something when that would eliminate the need for vaccinations and such.

I'd say that I'd only help people that had terminal illnesses or were vegetables, but in the end, we're all going to die. And if someone's gone through years and years of therapy for depression and they've simply lost the will to live, then why not? Call me Kevorkian but I'd still feel like I was doing a good service. Releasing people from their own personal hell on earth.

Dr. Kevorkian is not a bad person at all. He was simply brave enough to step up and help those and not let the media or others affect his decisions. So now we have a Hiei Kevorkian :)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I fully support assisted suicide. Why make someone suffer if they don't want to? We already put pets down for this same reason and they can't even make the choice for themselves. Humans do usually have the capability to make that choice, so they should be allowed to.

JaneSmith

Registered Member
There are a few organizations out there that are of assistance. But there are rules.
1. you have to have a statement that your wishes are to die at your own hands.
2. you have to have the means to do so, preferably pain meds that will put you to sleep... forever.
3. you have to have your finances in order... well I added this one because it's shitty to leave your family with unknown expenses and troubles. And suicide negates life insurance... so finances are important to consider.
4. that's all. buh bye.
Hospice is a wonderful thing btw, they understand the process and guide the family who is usually freaking out.

Diederick

Registered Member
When properly regulated (and that can be a whole discussion on its own) I don't see any problem with euthanasia. I am all for it.

It is beneficial for both individual and society.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hilander Pets 2
Hilander Politics & Law 5
Mirage Breaking News 15
Nosferatu_Alucard Religion & Philosophy 15
M Politics & Law 35