Euthanasia- Mercy Killing

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Italiano, May 27, 2006.

1. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

In the past there have been several headlines and controversies surrounding this issue.

I believe that it is a viable option only under certain circumstances. And by that, I mean if the victim is in much pain or suffering and it can't be helped, or if they are in a certain type of comatose (and when I say certain types I mean if there are any other variables that come with it, such as neurological damage, internal damage etc).

What are some of your takes on Euthanasia?

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

hm....killing to relieve someone of extreme pain and suffering would be a good reason, but both sides have to agree on it. Other than that, I don't think there should be such thing. I think life in prison with no chance of parole is good enough for the most serious of felonies. Things like lethal injections aren't as painless as they say it is either.

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

What the bloody hell has that got to do with anything? o_O

I'm for it, but I have the same general ideas as Italiano. When you try to keep the person alive you're only doing more harm than good.

4. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

If the person is in an incurable and unbearable pain or the person is in a coma, and the person doesn't have any reasonable chance of recovery, then I say euthanasia should be legal. Especially in cases where the person has stipulated that they want to be euthanized if they ever get into such a situation, but even in cases where it's ambiguous. It costs so much money a year that could be spent on people who actually have a chance of recovering... it's basically just throwing your money away on a lost hope... and how would you like laying there for years on end, not living even a little bit, possibly in pain... they'd probably kill themselves if they were able.

5. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Oh crap. I was thinking of the death penalty. oops. But yeah, it's fine as long as everyone's cool with it. And when it does happen, people shouldn't get all pissed off that they're intentionally killing someone. That's why agreeing is so important.

6. I dont see anything wrong with it, if someone wants it done to themselves I dont see why we should stop them, especially if they are in pain, etc.

7. Hinata

Hinata La Coquette

With this I will say make a living will. That way if ever you have something life threatening disease or paralysis and you won't be able to survie for long then state on the parer that you do not want to be resuscitated. That makes it alot easier for the ones living.

As forward as euthanizing a person who is asking, I would not be able to do it. I would not want to be responisble for some one else's death no matter how much they want it. I mean not only would the family be pissed for the person wanting to have an assisted suicide but also at the person who helped and may seek the helper for some financial damages.

Yes it may help the person but make sure the whole family is involved in the decision that way they can make peace that this is what my mom/dad/sis/bro whoever wants.

Those are some aspects those who wish to be euthanised think of.

8. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

No average person writes out a will until they're middle age, maybe as young as in the 30s.

Or if they are really paranoid when they're 20...

The point is, most often those kinds of situations occur at random. You can't predict when something like that is going to happen unless it is from a disease and there are tell tale signs.

And most often it's the parents of the victim who would have the power and choice to euthanize them. The Terry Schaivo case was an acception, and there were suspicions that the husband just did it for money.

9. Hinata

Hinata La Coquette

Well seeing that Terry was in a hospital for a long time I don't think he was able to use that money for his own purposes. But yeah in most situations comas do occur at random which is why I made the point of a living will. You never know what will happen and when it will happen. Not that I've made one. Maybe in a year or two but also I've talked with my mom about what I want.

I meant the euthanasia more so in the case of elderly who don't want to live and they haven't discussed the option with their family members. In that case its selfish and the family will suffer after the person dies especially if they find out the pt was assisted.

P.S. Terry Schiavo wasn't euthanised, she starved to death. Whether she was there or not. That body suffered until she died.

10. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

They've got people who's job that would be, who would be able to do it... so luckily you wouldn't have to do it (unless maybe you really wanted to?).

From 1990 to 2005... yeah, I'd say that's a long time. And I REALLY don't think anybody even with a shred of conciousness would want to continue living after 15 years of sensory deprivation like that.

That's a form of euthanasia. Not sure if she suffered though, while she was starved, it's possible that she no longer had the capabilities to feel the pain that would come from such a thing.

Terry Schiavo was in a vegetative state, and had been for a very very long time. Really the only people who thought she was mentally there at all were her parents and religious people... According to all the tests, the vast majority of doctors, and impartial obvservers, she was not aware of anything. Her parents skewed the evidence, such as taking a 6 hour documentation which according to a judge showed no evidence of her awareness due to her parents, and cutting it down to 6 minutes which happened to support them; they basically cut it down to the few times that she coincidentally happened to react at the same time they were there. Her parents also showed video claiming that it was proof she was aware, when most neurologists who examined Schiavo disagreed. I think it was really just a case of disillusioned parents who couldn't believe that their daughter was essentially dead, even though she was.