• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Eurovision Song Contest 2011

wooly

I am the woolrus
Surprised there was no Eurovision thread this year so.... here we are!! bit late to be starting a thread as the final has JUST started but, anyone else watching this??

Ireland are one of the favourites this year with Jedward. An act who i HATE (and yes, i realise hate is a strong word) but i am hoping they win, so the Eurovision will come to Ireland!! :D

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Hate isn't a strong word...compared to the scenario we were talking about today :lol:

I'm routing for Blue, obviously, even though i never really liked them as a boy bad; but i heard the Jedtards have a good song and could win.

I know Japan can't enter, but if they did they'd probably wipe the floor with everyone with a catchy JPop tune :lol2:

wooly

I am the woolrus
I haven't heard Blue's song yet but they do have a bit of talent at least! So far, Jedward have actually been one of the better acts... and i mean from a musical standpoint.

The world has gone mad :p

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I haven't heard anything yet, I just know Blue and Jedward are in it and was told Jedward had a half decent song.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
The reason why there was no thread is that the whole competition is an embarrassment to our continent.

The best singer never wins, it'd just a political circus.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I agree the political voting has been a big problem since the early/mid 2000's or so, but a standout act can always win the competition, like Lordi in 2006! Though i guess i should factor in the scandinavian block voting into that... ahem. :p

Well, all 25 acts have gone and my personal favourite so far has been Italy's entry. A pretty good jazzy number:

YouTube - Raphael Gualazzi - Follia D'Amore (Italy Eurovision 2011)

doesn't sound like something that could win the Eurovision though... I still think Jedward have an alright chance this year! Austria are probably the main contenders. She was a fantastic singer.

Blue got a big cheer in the stadium when they were just running through the clips! I didn't really like their song at all but i'd like to see them do well!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Did they change the way they're doing the votes? My cousins live in Dusseldorf and they're watching it live! I don't even know who is representing FR, usually it's some lame singer...

wooly

I am the woolrus
Did they change the way they're doing the votes? My cousins live in Dusseldorf and they're watching it live! I don't even know who is representing FR, usually it's some lame singer...
France had some guy called Amaury Vassili representing them! Kinda opera-ish. It was one of the favourites, but i thought it was a little dull to be honest! Good singer though!

I think they have the voting so that it's 50% TV votes and then 50% professional juries. I have no idea who these juries are though and if they'll help stop the block voting problem or increase it!! Hopefully we end up with a fair system though!

So far the opening of the show and the interval have probably been the two best musical performances :p

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Oh so the French dude passed already? I just asked my son to check the telly and lemme know if he did. I also googled the dude and he has a nice voice but yeah not so much Eurovision-winning piece.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Well, Azerbaijan took the title!!

Hmm... a LOT of block voting again. But still, my favourite act of the night, Italy, managed to cut through the political voting and get a respectable second place!! At least now that it's over i can go back to hating Jedward again. It felt really weird to actually be cheering for them for that short time... I died a little inside every time i did :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hilander Music 5
sunrise Music 6
Crouton Music 3
EllyDicious Music 25
Bananas Movies & TV 17