• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Euro 2012

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
With the World Cup finished, the European teams are still busy in their qualifiers for Euro 2012

Group A
Germany
Turkey
Austria
Belgium
Kazakhstan
Azerbaijan

Group B
Russia
Slovakia
Republic of Ireland
FYR Macedonia
Armenia
Andorra

Group C
Italy
Serbia
Northern Ireland
Slovenia
Estonia
Faroe Islands

Group D
France
Romania
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Belarus
Albania
Luxembourg

Group E
Netherlands
Sweden
Finland
Hungary
Moldova
San Marino

Group F
Croatia
Greece
Israel
Latvia
Georgia
Malta

Group G
England
Switzerland
Bulgaria
Wales
Montenegro
Group H
Portugal
Denmark
Norway
Cyprus
Iceland

Group I
Spain
Czech Republic
Scotland
Lithuania
Liechtenstein

Hosts

Poland
Ukraine

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Qualifying doesn't start for another month or two. I'll definitely be following it. Can't wait for the actual tournament in two years. It's basically a mini World Cup without Argentina and Brazil. Kind of sucks that they're expanding it from 16 to 24 teams in 2016.

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
Kind of sucks that they're expanding it from 16 to 24 teams in 2016.
Why do you say that? It takes away the importance of the qualifiers? lol

It's basically a mini World Cup without Argentina and Brazil.
I wouldn't say that, not now at least. The last World Cup proved that there is dominance South America. All 5 of the CONMEBOL teams were leading there groups at one point during the 3rd game of the World Cup round robin. only Chile barley lost it's #1 positioning.. barely. Not to mention other regional powers like USA or Ghana.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Why do you say that? It takes away the importance of the qualifiers? lol
Yes. And also having six groups instead of four in the actual tournament means the groups will be easier. Plus 16 of the 24 teams will advance from the group stage. When more than half the teams advance, it makes the games so much less important.

I wouldn't say that, not now at least. The last World Cup proved that there is dominance South America. All 5 of the CONMEBOL teams were leading there groups at one point during the 3rd game of the World Cup round robin. only Chile barley lost it's #1 positioning.. barely. Not to mention other regional powers like USA or Ghana.
It's been 60 years since a non-European team other than Brazil or Argentina even made the final of a World Cup. Uruguay had a good run this year to reach the semis, but they had a pretty easy draw not having to play any European teams to get there (besides France in the group stage, and they were a joke).

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
Yes. And also having six groups instead of four in the actual tournament means the groups will be easier. Plus 16 of the 24 teams will advance from the group stage. When more than half the teams advance, it makes the games so much less important.
Yeah that's what I thought. It makes the tournament itself less challenging with the inclusion of less talented teams. With 16 teams, the tournaments has a higer elite:non-elite proportion than it would with 24 teams. Also with 16 good teams I've always thought the Euro cup was even tougher to win than the World Cup because it doesn't include micro nations such as Trinidad or New Zealand who have absolutely no chance of winning a game and may make it easier for contending teams to advance. The Euro Cup however has 4 great groups with great teams making it hard for even the best of teams to advance. Which is why I think it is the hardest tournament to win.
It's been 60 years since a non-European team other than Brazil or Argentina even made the final of a World Cup. Uruguay had a good run this year to reach the semis, but they had a pretty easy draw not having to play any European teams to get there (besides France in the group stage, and they were a joke).
Yeah I know. That's why I said the latest World Cup provided non European regional powers stepping up. Uruguay had a rough group stage to say the least. Not a great group but a rough group. Mexico has a very good team, South Africa were the hosts, and they played France in their first game, which was before Anleka pitted the team against their coach.

Predictions for the qualifying group winners?

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The Euro Cup however has 4 great groups with great teams making it hard for even the best of teams to advance. Which is why I think it is the hardest tournament to win.
Exactly. In Euro '08 Italy, France, and Netherlands were all in one group, the two finalists from the previous World Cup, and one of the finalists from the following World Cup.

Predictions for the qualifying group winners?
The group winners are hard to predict. Probably Germany, Italy, Spain, England, Netherlands. The other ones could be interesting. Seems like France is ALWAYS with Romania.

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
Italy!? They're horrible nowadays, look how badly they did in South Africa. They're probably going to miss the next Euro lol.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Italy!? They're horrible nowadays, look how badly they did in South Africa. They're probably going to miss the next Euro lol.
You never know. Seems like they're in a transitional period between their older players and bringing in the younger ones. They certainly have talent. But yeah, you can just never know how a team will perform. Look at England in the World Cup qualifying compared to their performance in the World Cup. Look at Uruguay. They barely qualified for the World Cup, and then they finished 4th.

Bjarki

Registered Member
England's group seems most interesting, some quality squads in there who could really give the English a run for their money.

Btw, I agree Echoes.. 24 is too much, it's nearly half of all European countries. It will make the group stage pretty boring and the knockouts more of a lottery with 16 teams involved :stare:

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
Why is Israel in the UEFA? Weren't we having a discussion concerning country's playing in their respective continents in another topic? Turkey to, aren't they in Asia Minor?