• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Football Euro 2012: Yellow cards for racism

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Source: BBC Sport

Euro 2012: Players to be booked if they leave the pitch due to racism

Uefa president Michel Platini says that any players who walk off the pitch at Euro 2012 due to racial abuse will be booked.

A BBC Panorama programme highlighted racism incidents at grounds in Poland and Ukraine, who co-host Euro 2012.

Manchester City and Italy striker Mario Balotelli threatened to walk off the pitch if he believed he was a victim.

But Platini said: "It's a yellow card. It's not a player - Mr Balotelli - who's in charge of refereeing."

Platini insists officials will deal with any racist incidents that occur during the tournament, which begins on Friday.
Personally I think this is insane, these players have enough to worry about with winning the tournament and their on safety without the idea of being booked if they don't want to put up with being racial abused, I am not sure who made this decision but I think it is a bad one.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
What about making sure they deal with racists incidents so that no player would feel like he has to walk out?! Also, a fine would have been more understandable than a yellow card - that affects their play and future games and chances of winning the Cup.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
What about making sure they deal with racists incidents so that no player would feel like he has to walk out?! Also, a fine would have been more understandable than a yellow card - that affects their play and future games and chances of winning the Cup.
Apperently the decision will be left down to the referees to make the call but given how little support they get based on history and the fact that referees in the past have recieved death threats if I was a referee I would be going in worrying.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Referees will obviously go by the book and whip out the yellow card, no doubt about that. I don't think anyone should be a subject to racial abuse and I think that a yellow card is just the stupidest thing FIFA has came up with since they said they'll abolish penalty shoot outs.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Racism is sick. I hope there won't be any tragic racism incidents in Euro 2012.
Oh, there will be.

Poland doesn't agree with people that are not Polish. If it won't be the Polish people, it'll be the other country's supporters being twats.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Let the soccer authorities deal with it during a match, but a player shouldn't shy away from blasting the authorities after a match.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Stupid.

It's bad enough players will be subject to normal verbal abuse and running the usual risk of having objects thrown at them, but they shouldn't have to deal with racism.

I understand that players make a lot of money and are well paid to take the normal amount of abuse from rival fans (who, ironically, will love them if they move to said club); but I don't think anyone could be paid enough to take racial abuse from thousands of fans at once.