• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ethically Sourced

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Almost everything these days has some kind of ethically sourced, well prepared and made to make feel less guilty about purchases being bought, paper, eggs, milk, wood, toilet paper, almost anything you can think of I imagine will have it's equivalent.

Now it's not that I do not care because I do care about animals and the planet but when it comes to things like food etc the way I see it is we are taking the life from something innocent anyway so it doesn't entirely matter to me how they lived, yes that might sound horrible but that is the way I see it.

Do you feel the same way however? Does the ethically side ever concern you? Are you willing to pay more to a supermarket or market knowing you have done the right thing or does it not matter to you?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I care about the environment a lot, so I do try to make sure to buy things that are environmentally friendly if possible.

The ethical side of eating animal products does concern me a little as well, but I have never seriously considered going vegetarian or vegan. Plants are living things too though, so who's to say it's more ethical to eat plants than animals?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't buy too many ethical products, but I do buy a type of ethical cleaning product that apparently doesn't harm rivers and oceans when it gets into the waterways, unlike bleach etc which is really bad for marine life.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I'm very disturbed by factory farming. The problem is how damn efficient it is. Everyone needs to eat. Still, with all the grain that goes to feed livestock, I wonder if vegetarianism isn't much more efficient. The catch would be protein. It's a tricky situation, and I hope folks like Steven Pinker are right that the direction humanity is taking will leave things like institutionalized animal cruelty behind. Who knows what technology will bring?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm very disturbed by factory farming. The problem is how damn efficient it is. Everyone needs to eat. Still, with all the grain that goes to feed livestock, I wonder if vegetarianism isn't much more efficient. The catch would be protein. It's a tricky situation, and I hope folks like Steven Pinker are right that the direction humanity is taking will leave things like institutionalized animal cruelty behind. Who knows what technology will bring?
No your right, as a food cycle, vegetarianism has been proven to be more efficient. As in, if all the grain grown to fed the animals, went straight to feeding us instead you could feed a lot more people in a much more efficient way. I still remember this because our teacher made us study it in my High School environmental science class.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I do care how the animals lived before I ate them. I grew up on a cattle farm where they were treated extremely well, and seeing factory farming and things like that really bother me. Another thing is veal. Veal sickens me, and that should never be allowed. It's freaking awful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Movies & TV 2
Pugz Politics & Law 2