Espresso

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by AnitaKnapp, Mar 28, 2009.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

So what is the difference between espresso and coffee?

I did get my espresso/coffee machine yesterday. I think all I need to buy are espresso grounds, but I'm not really sure if I'll be able to find them without going to a coffee shop and buying them.

Also, what is 2 shots of espresso? Is that the same measurement as 2 shots of vodka? lol

2. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

Hmm, two very good questions.

I just looked up my dictionary :lol: and it says that espresso is "strong coffee made by forcing steam through ground coffee" from Italian "caffé espresso" meaning "pressed coffee". Where as it says that coffee is made from grinding and roasting coffee beans. So I guess the difference is that epsresso is pressed by steam and normal coffee is roasted? I dunno, just thought I would share that in the hope that it might bring some sort of answer for your question.

As for the two shots of espresso, I really have no idea about that :rolleyes:

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I've heard various different measures for a single shot of espresso, ranging from 30ml to 50.

A shot of vodka is 25ml, I think?

4. AnitaKnapp

Yeah. I attempted to make one this morning. It didn't taste very good. It will probably take me weeks to master it. I at least mastered the machine...now I have to master all of the ingredients to make it taste as good as store bought.

I used a 16 oz cup, and I think I had about 6 - 8 oz of espresso. I think I need to do 6 or less next time, and foam the milk longer.

5. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Just don't foam the milk too long, as if it heats up too much it gets a really gross kind of burnt taste. That what I found with the machine I had when I lived with my parents anyway.

6. AnitaKnapp

Yeah, I'm going to foam it long enough to at least get it hot. It was still too cold, but I was in a hurry.

7. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Its been a while since I did this, I used to work in hospitality catering we had some bad-ass machines.

-Espresso uses high pressure steam to push through the coffee. Whilst regular is done by phyically mixing water with coffee.

-One shot = 1oz....... however a double is not simply a case of pouring two, you should have a different attachment with twice the capacity and two spouts. It is something to do with time/chemicals and other sciency stuff.

-To make your milk frothy, use cold milk or even better add a couple of ice-cubes. Place tube to bottom of jug and hold it there until the milk litteraly starts boiling and then gradually lower the jug until the tube sits on the surface hold near the surface for a couple of seconds....et voila!

8. AnitaKnapp

Thanks Bananas.

Attempt #2 today went very well. The mocha tasted good, but I need to use a little less chocolate next time, and still froth the milk more. This time I mixed chocolate milk and frothed that instead of adding each element separately. I need to get some sort of cup/glass that I can froth better in. Currently nothing I have is shallow enough for the mechanism to reach towards the bottom.

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

oh yeah Espresso is like the liquor of coffee :hah:

Usually when I hit up coffee shops I roll with 4 shots of espresso in my drink. I like the tangy bitterness.

10. AnitaKnapp

Espresso is yum. Now I want to add liquor to it. lol

I think I pretty much have it down. It doesn't taste as good as cafe mochas, but it's pretty damn good for home made.