TV ESPN's The Playmakers

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Bubbles, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

Does anyone else remember that show? It starred Tony Denisson, Russell Hornsby, Omar Gooding, Christopher Whiel and a few other guys. Back in 2003, I used to come home from school and watch it whenever it was on. It really sparked my interest in the NFL. Recently, I rediscovered The Playmakers after someone of Youtube was gracious enough to upload the entire first season. Sadly, there was only one season of it, since the NFL literally bullied ESPN to take it off the air.

I'm surprised that HBO or Showtime or even Stars didn't buy the rights to it, since it was a show with a great deal of potential.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Yeah I remember that show, it was pretty good. And I remember the NFL bullying ESPN to take it off the air which was BS. They should have kept it going.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I watched that show back in the day. I can't remember if I watched the entire season or not. I thought it was pretty ridiculous and an extremely unrealistic portrayal of professional sports.

4. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

Well, thats true, it was pretty sensationalized, but I do remember former Baltimore Raven's player Deion Sanders said that shit like that really did happen in the locker room. He and few other players defended the show. It was actually after the infamous "homosexual" episode that the NFL really started to put pressure on ESPN to take it off the air, which I agree with CO, was BS.

5. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I watched a handful of episodes. I enjoyed it. I'd like another football-themed TV show, this time on Showtime or HBO, so that it doesn't run into these same problems.