• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

ESPN 30 for 30

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Finally had the chance to see the 30 on 30 on Marcus Dupree and it was fantastic.

Man the guy had talent, it's a shame that he had to deal with all those injuries and he never stuck it out with the Sooners. He had height, build and speed to be a perfect running back for the NFL. I don't know about you guys, but I cringe when I was him his leg bend the way it shouldn't bend.

It's funny how just watching a real NFL game can give him that passion to play again. It's remarkable the work he put into getting back into shape. He lost one hundred pounds in three months, that's unbelievable.

The footage at the end, where they're showing his old games was outstanding. It looked like Walter Payton or Barry Sanders out there. Wow!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Glad you saw it, dude. It's probably my favorite one that I've seen. The guy was just so talented it was ridiculous. He looked like Adrian Peterson but maybe even faster and stronger. I think they said he was 6'3", 230 pounds, and ran 100 meters in under 10 seconds. That's just sick.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I agree Echoes, Dupree's was the best 30 for 30 I've seen yet. Great story, well done by the producer.

I think the SMU one coming up has the potential to be a great one as well. I hope it is done as well as I hope it will be. Great series, glad to here it will continue.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Recently I've watched a couple more that I've been wanting to see.

First was Without Bias. Just a really sad story. I always knew his name and that he died, but I never knew how or any of the specifics. So crazy that he died on the day he was drafted. It seemed like he had the potential to be a superstar in the NBA.

And then a couple nights ago I watched Pony Exce$$, which was about the SMU football program receiving the death penalty. It was absolutely shocking to hear about all of the illegal recruiting methods going on, not just at SMU, but at all of the other major programs as well. And then to see what kind of effect the death penalty (suspension of the football program for two years) had was unbelievable. 30 years later they are just now starting to recover.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I saw both of those and they were really good. A lot of people thought that Len Bias was going to be the next Michael Jordan. He had all the skill set to be a superstar in this league. It was definitely a sad story, his death and Reggie Lewis death really hurt the Celtics orginazation for a lot of years.

I couldn't believe how much cheating SMU was doing, it's incredible. They had a sick team though, Dickerson was just a beast at Running Back, and they had a solid back-up too. But after that it all came crashing down, and they got a huge penalty for cheating. I heard of the story before, but never was sure of the specifics.

BigBob

Registered Member
I can't really agree with Babe saying he was suppose to be the next Michael Jordan because he wasn't even "Michael Jordan" yet. He was suppose to be that guy though to lead the Celtic's to the playoffs every year and coninute their legacy.

I'm just sitting here watching The U one again, love it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
When Len Bias got drafted everyone compared him to Michael Jordan. He was a little bigger than Jordan. Probably a body closer to that of Lebron James. His jumper was good and he was a great finisher. Some people said that he was better than Jordan at the time he got drafted, but remember that Jordan wasn't really "MJ" when Bias got drafted.

BigBob

Registered Member
When Len Bias got drafted everyone compared him to Michael Jordan. He was a little bigger than Jordan. Probably a body closer to that of Lebron James. His jumper was good and he was a great finisher. Some people said that he was better than Jordan at the time he got drafted, but remember that Jordan wasn't really "MJ" when Bias got drafted.
That's what I'm saying. You are the one who said he was suppose to be the next Michael Jordan, but like I said.. Michael Jordan wasn't even Michael Jordan yet.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Jordan had a great rookie year. He played two years before Bias got drafted. His rookie season consisted of:

28ppg
6rpg
6apg
3spg
1bpg

He missed most of his second season due to breaking a bone in his foot, but still averaged 22ppg during those eighteen games he played. He also had that 63 point in the playoffs against the Celtics.

That to me is still a superstar, and I wouldn't be embarassed being compared to Jordan if I was Bias and I would take it as a huge compliment.

BigBob

Registered Member
You keep saying thing's that I never said. When did I ever say he should be embarrased? He didn't even play full two season so he wasn't MJ yet. I'm not saying it's a bad thing he was compared to him, but it would be like saying John Wall will be the next Derrick Rose. Rose is good but how do we know he won't become a bum aftert his year?