• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

ESPN 30 for 30

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I watched the Terry Fox one last night and really enjoyed it. I'm surprised I had never heard of him before. It's such an inspirational and sad story.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Glad you liked it Echoes, I agree that it's a very inspirational story, I'm glad that Americans are learning more of Terry Fox with this documentry. I've seen it four times now and I still don't get tired of it. I thought it was really well done, and very emotional.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I have yet to catch a single one. but I was just going through the list and these are the ones that interest me the most.

King's Ransom (Gretzky)
Without Bias (Bias)
Run, Ricky, Run (Williams)
June 17th, 1994 (Simpson)
One Night In Vegas (Tyson)

The Red Sox one interests me a little, even though I hate baseball, that's the first time I actually sat down and watched more than an inning in my entire life. I guess being in Cali and Hooters helped. Haha.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The Red Sox one was actually really good. I watched it recently. That's the thing about this series though. Even the ones that don't sound like something you'd be interested in are still awesome because of how well done they are. I haven't seen one yet that I didn't like, and I've watched several that sounded boring.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I haven't seen the King Ransom yet, and I'm sure you guys know that I really want to watch it. I'm a huge Wayne Gretzky fan, and I know a bit of that story, but I'm sure I would learn new things by watching it.

The Len Bias one is great, it's an incredible story. I'm sure you'd enjoy it Kons. Scouts kept saying that he was going to be the next Michael Jordan. The Celtics drafted him that year, and they were riding a lot on him, but unfortunately he passed away.

I didn't know they made one about the Red Sox, hopefully I'll be able to catch it on television soon. I can't stand the Red Sox, but I'm sure I would enjoy it.

Last edited:

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I wasn't a huge fan of the Gretzky one, probably for the fact it just contained lots of information and stories I was already familiar with. Stephen Brunt`s book is a way better source then that 30 for 30, although if you don`t like reading, go with the documentary.

I love the Red Sox one too, remembering back in the day when I actually cheering for the Red Sox in those situations. They were quite the lovable team back then though. I still get shivers up my spine watching Dave Roberts nabbed second base in Game 4. Same with the Ortiz home run.

I enjoyed Ricky Williams too. So many misconceptions about Williams are out there and this story really just gave you a great insight into Ricky the person, not the football player. I really enjoyed that one.

I like OJ Simpsons one too, the filmmaker did a great job inter-twining it with all the events happening that day.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I just watched the one about Marcus Dupree, called "The Best That Never Was." I think I had heard of him before, but I can't believe I didn't know his story. I don't want to ruin it for those of you who haven't seen it or don't know about him, but people who saw him play say he was the best football player they had ever seen. It's a really sad story and one of my favorite 30 for 30s that I've seen so far, right up there with the one about Terry Fox. I definitely recommend it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I heard many great things about this 30 on 30. I've heard of Dupree in the past, but not enough to give a fair judgement about him. They should be playing the replay here in my area in the next few weeks or so, I'll definitely catch it.

The only negative thing I heard about this one is this:

People think he's dead, until the end of this documentary since he doesn't speak and his brother is crying when he talks about him. Now I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I believe I read that somewhere.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
People think he's dead, until the end of this documentary since he doesn't speak and his brother is crying when he talks about him. Now I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I believe I read that somewhere.
He's not dead. He speaks throughout the documentary.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Okay I totally read that wrong, what I read is that people were surprised that they didn't talk to his brother or at least tell us why he wasn't interviewed. That's why people thought he was dead till the end where they showed a shot of him his wife.