ESPN 30 for 30

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Major, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I thought maybe we had a thread about this already, but I couldn't find one.

30 for 30 is a series of 30 sports documentaries. Does anybody else like them?

I've only seen six or seven of the 20 that they've aired so far, but I've really enjoyed all of the ones that I saw.

Reggie Miller vs the New York Knicks, The U (about Miami football in the 80's), and June 17, 1994 (OJ Simpson) were all amazing.

Last night I watched the one about the Baltimore Colts moving to Indianapolis and the Colts Marching Band and how they kept playing for 12 years when Baltimore didn't even have a team. My parents grew up in Baltimore and all of my relatives are from there, so I've heard a lot about the Colts moving, but this documentary really gave me an appreciation for what the city went though, and I have to admit, I find myself wanting to cheer for the Ravens now even though I've always hated them.

I missed the one about Jordan and I really want to see it. And there are a few that haven't been aired yet that I'm excited about, like one about Steve Bartman.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I've seen a few of them, Ricky Williams, O.J Simpson, L.A Raiders, Len Bias and I believe that's it. All of those were fantastic, the Len Bias story was amazing. I knew about him before I watched the documentry, but this helped me learn more about the whole incident and his potential.

I think it's a wonderful program, and I want to watch all of them. It's gives you a better appreciation/understanding for some these stories/athletes.

I want to see the Michael Jordan story, it supposedly talks about the alledge story of him getting banned by Stern for two years for gambling problems.

I heard the recent one of Tupac/Tyson in Vegas was amazing.

One that I'm really looking forward to is the Terry Fox story, which was done by Steve Nash. I know a lot about Terry Fox, but I want to see this documentry so badly. It's an incredible story.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. Major

I saw the Tyson/Tupac one last night. It was really good, indeed. I was wondering what Tupac had to do with sports, but they tied it all together nicely. I didn't realize he was killed after leaving a Tyson fight, but then again I didn't really know who Tupac was until after he was killed.

4. Babe_Ruth

Let me know if you ever end up watching The Terry Fox 30 on 30 called Into the Wind. I know someone like you would really appreciate it. I haven't seen it myself, like I stated earlier, I know the story, and I know it's going to be an amazing documentary.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  5. Major

That one does sound interesting. It premiers on September 28th, so I'll try to remember to watch it then.

Are there any topics you'd like to see them make documentaries on that they aren't doing? I'd love to see one about the rise and fall of Woody Hayes.

6. Babe_Ruth

Woody Hayes would definitely be a good one, tremendous College Football coach, but will always be remembered for his altercation at the Gator Bowl in 78.

Another one that I would find interesting is John Wooden, the legendary coach of the Bruins. He was a brilliant man, and I would like to know more about his life/career. I think it would be very facinating.

I know my next selection as been done somewhat before, but I wouldn't seeing the rivalry between Magic and Bird. All started in the NCAA and continued through out their career in the NBA.

Black Sox scandal would be another interesting one, I don't know how well they could portray the story really well, but I would definitely be interested to see what they would do. It would be a big risk though in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  7. konboye

konboye Registered Member

Any link to the Documentary? I have read about it but haven't seen any. This was Bill Simmons' idea right?

8. Babe_Ruth

Here is the main link.

ESPN 30 for 30

I'm not sure you get it in your area.

There's not a lot of reasons why I would want ESPN in my area, but this is definitely one of them, since it takes forever for them to air them here.

9. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I love it. I haven't really seen a bad one yet, but I haven't seen every single one. I want to re-watch Run Ricky Run again, because I did miss bits and pieces of it. I'm upset I missed the Tyson/TuPac one. I really wanted to see that one.

The U was my favorite though, as well as No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  10. Babe_Ruth

30 on 30 on Terry Fox is airing right now, I'm not if we're getting an early look or not right now, but I'm excited to watch this finally.

If it's playing for you guys, I suggest you to watch it. It's an incredible story.