• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Enlightenment of gaffes

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yahoo News...Not all gaffes are created equal. Some gaffers like Sarah Palin expose their ignorance: "We've got to stand with our North Korean allies." Some like Dan Quayle butcher slogans: "What a waste it is to lose one's mind." Some just tell the truth where propaganda might be expected, as Mitt Romney did: "I'm not concerned about the very poor." Read More Here
I love it when a politician says something when he/she thinks no one is listening. I think it gives you more insight to where their head is at and shows their true colors. Wish it would happen more often. What do you think?

Wade8813

Registered Member
The problem is that it can be really hard to tell what it really means. For instance, saying "We really need to stand with our allies the North Koreans" could easily have been meant to be "We really need to stand with our allies the South Koreans", or "We need to stand with our allies against the North Koreans". I mean, I've said some ridiculously stupid things - it doesn't mean I was 'revealing my true colors', it just means that I'm human.

(I'll also admit that I also sometimes place too much importance on politician's misstatements)

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The lady that wrote this for yahoo and Obama should get a room. Its the most gross misrepresentation of gaffes I've ever seen. First, Palin saying North Korea was our ally did not prove her ignorance. It was at the end of a long interview in which North Korea and South Korea were discussed in detail and she clearly accidentally slipped and said NK instead of SK.

Secondly, president Obama telling the Russians to give him space was not a gaffe at all. It was a private conversation between Obama and Medvedev where he told the Russians he couldn't meet their needs until after the election because selling out Eastern Europe could damage his reelection. There was no slip there. He was very clear about his intentions he just didn't want anyone outside of the Communist president to know what his true intentions are.

What a sad, pathetic excuse for a journalist.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It doesn't prove Palin's ignorance but yet it proves Obama is selling out eastern Europe. Maybe Obama just wasn't wanting to alienate Medvedev so the door would be left open for further talks.