Engagement Ring Advice

I'm new here, but I'm hoping for some help.
I just started researching engagement rings (!), and I know what kind of stone (diamond) and style (round solitaire) I want, but I'm a bit lost when it comes to the metal. Do you have any advice as to which white metal I should choose? White gold, platinum, or something else? And why?

Thank you!

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Have you talked to your girlfriend about what she wants? Generally it's good to at least have an idea of her tastes. If you don't want to talk to her then try talking to one of her close friends (that you can trust not to ruin the surprise for you).

It's not much use us giving you our preferences, you're much better off asking one of her friends, like Hybrix said. Hope it all goes well for you and congratulations if it does! Scroll down a little and you should find a summary of the different types of metal, might help you decide: Wedding Ring Metal

Last edited:
Thanks for your help... that article was really informative. I've actually been doing a lot more research, and I think I'm going to go with platinum. It's the most durable precious metal and the most rare, and I've been reading that it's a lot cheaper now than it has been in a while. If anyone has had any experience with the metal, please let me know. I've been getting pretty positive reinforcement on the platinum front, but I'm still curious to know more!

trinispartan

Registered Member
you alone could answer that question according to your budget but if it were me it go with something like gold or white gold.FOR THE CHEAPER PLATINUM you could get a really nice gold ban or white gold.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
My wedding ring is platinum. We both liked it. If you don't like to ask her like if you don't want her to know you're thinking of engagement ring, you can check the jewelry that she wears. It'll give you an idea about her tastes. Does she usually wear more gold stuff, white gold, silver or platinum?

WesJones87

RayzorBlade87
I myself would go for White Gold, because it's colour is closer to silver than Platinum in my eyes. But I would ask which she like best (as a random topic of conversation, just so she doesn't suspect anything).