• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Energy Drink before/while work out?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Is it ok to drink an energy drink before/while work out? does it make any difference besides that it gives you more energy?

I heard someone saying that it's not good for your body to run on fake energy while working out...
:shifteyes:

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
I would say... Nope!

My reason is I heard rumors that they speed up your heart rate. That's just a rumor though. I'm no expert.

They DO have a lot of caffeine though. It's bound to dehydrate you if you're not careful. As long as you drink lots of water with them, I would assume you'll be perfectly fine. Don't quote me on that though,

We're talking about someone who drinks Mt. Dew for breakfast. Mmm.

Blueyes

Registered Member
i'd say no just because of all the caffeine and sugar in it. heck one of my friends finally listened to me to stop drinking those because every time she did her heart went racing from it.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Indeed, it's not a good idea as most energy drinks are just multiple kinds of sugar and caffeine plus other stimulants that will make you twitchy rather than energetic. I will say this though, that 5 hour Energy stuff is awesome. I don't know if they have it in your country, but it's a little bottle that boasts no crash (I've never had one) and it works great.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
As far as I'm aware, it's fine to drink it before you actually start a work out. During, on the other hand, isn't recommended. Instead you should drink plain water.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
the thing is that yesterday i started working out after 2 months pause...and i felt so good with weight lifting and running! felt like i was flying and i thought it'd be a good idea drinking it while working out so that i could do many exercises....

and no, i've never of '5 hr energy'. it don't know if it exists over here.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I have to ask, are we talking sports drinks, like Lucozade, Gatorade & Powerade? Or are we talking about Red Bull?

If Red Bull, ignore my original post. That applies only for sports drinks.

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
actually i wasn't referring to sports drinks.
i was talking about other drinks like Red BUll, Energy Drink, Fire Drink and stuff.

talking about sports drinks, they're energetic just like the ones mentioned above?
where is the difference, though?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Sports drinks are specifically designed to help you rehydrate while exercising. They also restore a bunch of nutrients, carbs, and electrolytes. This is generally what you'll want to drink before and after a work out.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
while checking out a health-fitness website about sports energy drink, in the list were included Red Bull, Jolt, Rockstar...etc.
i'm a bit surprised now after what i'm reading here.

given that we started to talk about sports energy drink...
what else should i look for in an energy drink besides zero sugar/less caffeine?
do you have a personal favorite?

[i checked on 5hr.energy drink. it seemed good.]