• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"Enemies of the Internet"

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
CBS News(AP) PARIS - The Arab Spring is changing the face of Internet freedom, according to Reporters Without Borders, which released its latest "Enemies of the Internet" list Monday. Read More Here
Most of the countries on this list didn't surprise me. What surprised me was France for cutting off internet access for repeatedly downloading illegal content, not that I think its alright to steal copyrighted material and Australia for a national content filtering system. I'm afraid the day will come most countries will be on this list.

Here is a article about how China deletes messages on their Weibo service.
Study reveals Chinese censorship of Weibo

What do you think about this list? Do you think they go over board with who they think belongs on it?

Last edited:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
The way things are going I would not be surprised if we see this happening more and more often. The thing is though is I really don't see this ever stopping. The smart will get smarter and will continue to do what they do and what they need to do to make sure they cannot be detected.

In the UK some providers have been writing to people to say "we know what you have been doing, this is what you have been doing please stop", but the thing is they have been getting it wrong, some people were getting letters who should never have been targeted in the first place because they did nothing wrong.

Cyber crime is a funny thing. I am not going to try and sound high and mighty and that I have never downloaded anything illegal or requested anything illegal such as software but I started doing it when I lived at home with my parents. Either they didn't know or they didn't understand it because at no point did my parents ever say anything to me but you can be damn sure if I had stolen money or something from a shop they would have been hell to pay.

People see online piracy as a victimless crime "oh these artists have another money anyway" and to an extent I agree, we have been paying through the nose for music, games and films for so long and whilst doing what people do doesn't make it right I think in peoples minds it is justified, to quote independent artist MC Lars from song "download this song":

"You know, we just wanted a level playing field. You've overcharged us for music for years, and now we're just trying to find a fair balance. I hate to say it, but: Welcome to the future"

To finish I would hate for what happens in some countries to happen in the UK but to an extent I can understand it, cybercrime is real and from the point of view of an ISP is they are not seen to be supporting people such as the MPAA and RIAA and pretty much supporting piracy.