• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Encyclopedia Dramatica: 2004 - 2011: The End of an Era?

C-Mach

Registered Member
On April 14, 2011, unsuspecting frequenters of Encyclopedia Dramatica were shocked, confused, hurt, and enraged when they were redirected to a nasty surprise: ED had been replaced by Oh Internet, a wiki that catalogues Internet phenomena in a friendly and safe for work format. From what this observer has gathered, ED's questionable content repelled advertisers, so Joseph Evers, owner of the domain name, Sherrod "Girlvinyl" DeGrippo, owner of the site, and several high-up sysops decided to create a more marketable wiki. Several days before, ED was shut down due to "updates". After those "updates" were completed, Oh Internet was born.

This decision inflamed EDiots, who felt betrayed by the site owners' and sysops' perceived selling out to Amazon, a chief advertiser on Oh Internet. With no well-organized and easily accessible alternative to ED's raucous and uncensored atmosphere, many EDiots were left out in the cold. As soon as ED died, numerous attempts were underway both to archive ED and revive it. As of yet, three prominent phoenixes have risen from the ashes (WARNING: NSFW): encyclopediadramatica.ch, LurkMoarpedia, and encyclopediaerratica.com. Is this the end of an era, or just the beginning?

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
You probably shouldn't provide links to those sites without adequate warning. Those links are not only NSFW, but they're NSFL (Not Safe For Life).

There never was an era.

The site was just another dumping ground for the grumbling trolls on 4chan and it was clear by its content. There's not much to advertise and not much money to make so it makes sense to me.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I've never been to ED but I've heard a lot about it... which inspired me to never go there. If what I heard is true, it was totally NSFL and I dont get why anyone would wanna go there.

C-Mach

Registered Member
You probably shouldn't provide links to those sites without adequate warning. Those links are not only NSFW, but they're NSFL (Not Safe For Life).
Thanks, MERC. I'll provide warning. Why didn't I think of doing that in the first place?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Italiano Reading 8
icegoat63 General Discussion 22