• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PSP Emulation and Homebrew Guide

unrealphantasy3

Registered Member
I've decide to make this guide to putting emus and homebrew on your PSP because I used to be totally confused on this issue, now that i know, i wanna save people all the trouble that I had to go through. Ok, here it is, in as clear of instructions as I can give.

1.00-1.5 firmware users

You guys have got it the easiest. First, you'll definitely want to buy a bigger memory stick if your serious about this stuff. the 32 MB just won't cut it. In any case, plug your PSP into your PC and select USB connection on your PSP (this also works with Macs, and is actually a little easier). Go into "My Computer", enter the "Removable Disk Drive" at the bottom, then you'll see the PSP folder. Open it, and you should multiple folders, including GAME, PHOTO, and MUSIC. If the only thing you see is MEM_STICK.IND, go out of USB mode on your PSP, format your memory stick (find it somewhere in the settings menu), then reenter USB mode. Now you'll see all those folders when you go back to where you were. Now, download the emus, roms for the emus, and homebrew programs you want onto your desktop off the internet. Click and drag the emus into your GAME folder, and then open up the emus and place the ROMS into their respective emus. any homebrew programs (like QuakePSP) you downloaded should be placed in your GAME folder along with the emus. after that's done, your all set! Get out of USB mode, unplug your PSP, and you can find the emus and homebrew under Saved Games in the GAME menu on your PSP. All the roms will show up when you boot up the emu. There you go!

2.00+ users

You guys have got it unlucky, here. You're ifrst going to need an old version of GTA: liberty city stories, because the new ones on store shelves do not allow you to do this, as they have been "patched". Plug your PSP in just as stated above. Download fanjita's eloader onto your desktop off the internet. The eloader has an auto-install :-o and everything will get put in the right place. Now, download all of the emus, roms, and homebrew programs you want and put them on your PSP as stated above. take out your PSP and start up GTA. the eloader should pop up after the game's initial loading screen, if it doesn't, then go to the load/save screen from the game and load it from there. When the eloader, comes up, you'll be able to select the emus you want to run. As far as homebrew programs are concerned, if you can.t load them up as described in 1.00-1.5 users section, then you should find them on the eloader as well.

2.00+ users, if you want to just run emus and homebrew off a 1.5 cause you can't find an unpatched GTA or whatever, DO NOT DOWNGRADE AS THIS COULD POSSIBLY MAKE IT SO THAT YOUR PSP CANNOT EVER TURN ON, RENDERING IT USELESS AND YOUR $250 FOR NOTHING! THIS IS REFERRED TO AS THE PSP BEING BRICKED, AND WHILE THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE DON'T EXPERIENCE THIS PROBLEM, SINCE ITS A RIDICULOUSLY COMPLEX PROCEDURE TO DOWNGRADE ANYWAY, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DON'T ATTEMPT TO DOWNGRADE!!! whew...
personally, i suggest that if 2.00+ users want ot just run emus and such on a 1.5 psp for whatever reason, just look for a used 1.5 PSP on ebay or somewhere. it shouldn't be TOO expensive, and yoo're gaining the ability to basically play ANY retro game for ANY retro console, as well as coder created homebrew programs like Quake PSP, tetris, mini-golf, as well as gaining the ability to add PDA functions, so its worth it. you can use your new PSP to utilize all these awesome functions, and use your original to play all the true PSP games, and access Sony's upcoming features, like email, PSone emulation, voice chat, GPS, etc. Basically, for bout $50, you can totally maximaize your PSP gaming experience by getting everythng that's out there between your 2 PSPs.

Anyway, I know this guide will help a lot of people out there. I hope you appreciate it.

-unrealphantsy3

schmidtlet

Registered Member
well... good job unreal...
i found a rea;;y good downgrader that doesn't kill ur psp!!! i will put the link on later when i remember what it is...:D :D :D :D :D

Python

Sssssuper Platinum ******
well... good job unreal...
i found a rea;;y good downgrader that doesn't kill ur psp!!! i will put the link on later when i remember what it is...:D :D :D :D :D
Do you know what it is now, schmidtlet and is every downgrader out there a bricker? :-o