• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Empty Stadiums? Shorter season? Is it worth it for the NFL?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that you can have 4000 people fill a 60,000 seat stadium and still easily meet social distancing guidelines. I think that a plan starting with games in empty stadiums or fields, then small crowds, eventually working back up to full crowds is the way to go.

There are other factors to consider like when will a vaccine be ready? We may not be able to allow 50,000+ people in a stadium until we're sure that we've achieved some level of herd immunity from covid-19.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'll take empty stadiums. I'll take 8 games. Losing hockey, baseball and racing was bad enough.... don't let the 'rona take football/fantasy football from me. But who the hell knows at this point.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
El Cheeto is saying that some states will start opening up by May. I could see the NFL getting a full season with no preseason and a short training camp with the idea of playing to empty stadiums for a full season under that kind of timeline.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'd much rather things go that way. The more the merrier. But I definitely won't be picky on what I get. Let's just hope it doesn't backfire.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think that's what I said in another thread...basically. Let a few people in but not the entire capacity...space out the rows...or the sections.

Your biggest issue is spacing in the bathrooms...or concessions. Or walking out of the building.

Impaired

Registered Member
I am curious about other teams, but the Eagles just decided to shut down their message boards as a cost cutting measure.

Unreal. Great timing, assholes.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
Having NFL games with no fans in the stands, or even having just 4000 fans in the stands, would be weird for me to see on TV. I'm so used to seeing full or almost full stands during NFL games.

But if they have to have games with little to no fans in the stands, then so be it, I think. It would be a lot better than no regular season NFL games this fall.