ELP Laser Turntable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Malificus, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

ELP Laser Turntable: plays vinyl records without a needle

Something is very wrong with whoever buys this thing. Even moreso with whatever person invented it.

Isn't the point of people still having records that they're analog? What kind of person comes along and thinks, "Hey, I bet I could make this better by doing it digitally. It'll be like a CD player, except 1000 times more expensive."

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Interesting... It makes absolutely no sense to me unless somebody just loves the sound of records..

You know, that crackly sound at times. I actually don't mind it for older stuff because I'm used to hearing old songs on worn out records but why would I pay extra for that sound?

I can't even imagine a die hard record collector wanting one of these. I imagine they would have all their songs on CD so it wouldn't be the issue of not wanting a needle to touch their priceless collection... Who knows.

Looks like this came out about 20 years too late.

3. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

That crackly sound is exactly what this not only gets rid of, but ensures never happens in the first place |:

I know people who still listen to their records regularly. I even know where I could get a ton of records if I wanted to.
    ------
    Admittedly, I'd find the thing far less ridiculous if it didn't cost 10 grand at the cheapest, but when your music player that may or may not have completely missed the point of the format it's made for has a cost comparable to a car, something is wrong.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008