• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Science Electronic voice phenomenon

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Electronic voice phenomenon otherwise known as EVP is described as the following from Wikipedia:

Electronic voice phenomena (EVP) are sounds found on electronic recordings which resemble speech, but are not the result of intentional recording or rendering. EVP are commonly found in recordings with static, stray radio transmissions, and background noise. Recordings of EVP are often produced by increasing the gain (i.e. sensitivity) of the recording equipment.

Interest in EVP surrounds claims that they are of paranormal origin, although a number of natural explanations have been offered including apophenia (finding significance in insignificant phenomena), auditory pareidolia (interpreting random sounds as voices in one's own language), equipment artefacts, and hoaxes.

Parapsychologist Konstantin Raudive, who popularized the idea, described EVP as typically brief, usually the length of a word or short phrase.
I have always had an interest (some may say it is unhealthy) in the unknown, the paranormal, ghosts, spirits, demons etc. What interests me the most is many of the Japanese stories as they have a deep seated history in the ghosts and demons that haunt the earth seen most in films like Ring & The Grudge.

The idea of EVP is one that at once intrigues me but also scares me a little. It can be done in one of two ways either by voice recordings and by tape recordings both of which were highlighted in the Paranormal Activity films.

I have never done an EVP recording and whilst others have claimed to have done it which you can find via a simple google or youtube search you have to wonder how much of it is really real, in the days of audio manipulation software that is freely available online anybody could re-create these recordings if they really wanted to.

I would like to do an EVP in some places near me, there are many locations but the main one is a hospital that is very close to me that used to house people, it was a very basic hospital and there is even a new doctors surgery next door but when you look at it from the outside with its Gothic towers, old gates, high windows etc it is very easy to get caught up in stories that it may not get credit for, "oh it was a mental institute", "oh it was were people with deceases were left to rot" - these are just two ideas out of my head that may be enough to convince someone not only to go in there with recording equipment but also be convinced something has been recorded, the brain is a wonderful thing when you want to believe something.

The thing about the whole recording is I would be worried about pressing the play button, what if I really heard something? How would I react? What impact would it have on my own brain and my own thinking from then on? The imagination is a big thing.

With all that being said do you believe there is something to this? Have you ever tried it? Is it something that interests you or would you rather warn people and stay away?

The thing for me is there are so many stories and passages that make me think "they must have come from somewhere".

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have never done a EVP but I have seen a ghost so this may be possible. I'm not going to say everyone of these recordings are real because lets face it people like to lie and deceive but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are.

If your interested in doing a EVP I don't see where it would hurt anything. If you get something don't let it bother you but don't expect others to believe its real because like you said things like that can be manipulated so easily.

I have went to old abandon cemeteries to try to get pictures of ghosts and never got a thing. These were graves close to where the people lived too even took pictures around where the house once stood. The graves included adults and children.