• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Edwin goes to Cleveland...

TheAngrySportsGuy

Registered Member
So Edwin Encarnacion goes to Cleveland. He was a Blue Jays great. But, he misread the market and blew the chance to come back to the Blue Jays.The Blue Jays ended up offering the best contract offer, he wanted to be back in Toronto, yet, here we are. Edwin with less money and not in Toronto.

Now, I know there are lots of people here that think the Jays should have waited for Edwin to test the market and then wait for him to just come back and sign him to the contract. Well, isn't 20/20 vision great? Here's the problem, what would we be saying if the Jays didn't sign Edwin or Morales. Sitting here with just Pearce as a signing for this offseason? Here's the thing, is Edwin REALLY, objectively speaking, worth double what Morales is? I'd say no. In fact, I'm on record saying I think Morales has a great shot of out homering Edwin this season. Edwin is going to a division with cavernous ballparks. Leaving a division with bandboxes. Morales is doing the complete opposite. Now, I know 12 homers is a lot to make up just because of ballparks. But, I think Morales can hit 34-36 homers in this ballpark in this lineup. I think Edwin will regress in his new surroundings. So really, those 12 homers can be eaten up pretty quickly.

But, that's not the only thing, lets not forget, Morales is "free" while Edwin costs a first round pick. So the Jays get, a comparable bat, not as good but close enough for me, and a first round pick at half the cost? Why is this a bad move again?

Now, if you want to say, the Jays could have had them both, I'm not going to disagree. But then lets stop talking about the Morales deal. Lets instead talk about the $10+mill going to Smoak and Pearce. Thats the mistake. Signing Smoak for inexplicable reasons last year is the real problem. If Morales was instead replacing Bautista's bat....now we're talking.

But, here we are, no Edwin, no Bautista. Two icons of Blue Jays history. That hurts. I'm hoping they can sign Bautista. He still makes sense because of his versatility. I don't expect it because I believe this regime wants to rebuild while trying to look like they're trying and that pick is huge to them.

Anyway, Edwin made his decision when he rejected the initial offer. I'm sure he was told it was a final offer. I'm not sure what we would expect. The way I look at it is, the Jays got lucky they didn't pay 1 year and $20 million more than market value and received a first in the process.

With that said, I expect Josh Donaldson to be playing for a different team in August. This is the beginning of a full rebuild. But they can't start until the team shows it sucks.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself with the "rebuild" thought. It's not like Edwin & Joey Bats were doing everything on offense. Tulo, Josh & Martin are still there. We still got Pillar at CF. Look at some names still available on the market: Mark Trumbo, Mike Napoli, Carlos Beltran, Angel Pagan...still some more than decent bats to deliver offense.

And besides, I think the Jays will be more of a balanced team than they were this season. You can't always rely on the long ball to win games. Playing small ball also helps you win games.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I, personally believe both parties are to blame here, but more the organization. It's not like Morales was the hottest free agent around and everyone wanted him. But, yet, Shapkins goes ahead and signs him right away.

Morales does come cheaper, but he's no where close to Edwin. He can't even play defence. It's quite pathetic, actually.

Anyway, this doesn't hurt as much, because I knew it was coming. He will be missed.

TheAngrySportsGuy

Registered Member
I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself with the "rebuild" thought. It's not like Edwin & Joey Bats were doing everything on offense. Tulo, Josh & Martin are still there. We still got Pillar at CF. Look at some names still available on the market: Mark Trumbo, Mike Napoli, Carlos Beltran, Angel Pagan...still some more than decent bats to deliver offense.

And besides, I think the Jays will be more of a balanced team than they were this season. You can't always rely on the long ball to win games. Playing small ball also helps you win games.
So, things have changed! Price is hurt, Bautista is back.... Things might be looking up! I doubt this team will play small ball, the team is still pretty slow and not much in the order with great bat control. But, if health is kind (not a good start) the line up may be ok. Although, getting almost nothing from 1B is going to hurt. I still say the Smoak contract was a huge blunder on Shatkins part.

The backend of the BP still seems weak. Need another great year from Grilli, not sure that's to be expected. Hope they give one of the young fireballers a shot.

The rotation is obviously great, but beyond the top 5 it's non-existent. Doubt Latos accepts a start at Buffalo if he has a good spring.

LF is a hole right now, hopefully Pompey can hit that potential and show well during spring and take that job. Having more speed in the line up, or even on the bench, will help this team.

All in all, I think they'll compete if healthy. More hope than I had during the original comment, almost entirely due to the Bautista signing.

TheAngrySportsGuy

Registered Member
I, personally believe both parties are to blame here, but more the organization. It's not like Morales was the hottest free agent around and everyone wanted him. But, yet, Shapkins goes ahead and signs him right away.

Morales does come cheaper, but he's no where close to Edwin. He can't even play defence. It's quite pathetic, actually.

Anyway, this doesn't hurt as much, because I knew it was coming. He will be missed.
I blame the player because the organization gave the best offer by far. Hard to blame them there. Seems like they also misplayed the market though, probably could have gotten Morales on a two year deal if they waited. But it's still half the price of EE. Can't be mad at that. I'm a huge Morales fan though and wanted them to sign him as I too believed EE wasn't coming back. With him in Toronto and EE in Cleveland I expect their numbers to be very similar this year. I'm not saying Morales is going to do what EE did last year in Toronto, but I do believe the 12 or so homers will be much closer because of the divisions and ballparks they will now be playing in.

I'm more pissed at the waste of money Pearce and Smoak represent at 1B than I am at EE leaving. Like you said, that was expected. But $10 million bucks could have helped greatly in other areas.

BTW, Morales played 5 games in the OF last year! ATHLETE!!! ;)

TheAngrySportsGuy

Registered Member
I blame the player because the organization gave the best offer by far. Hard to blame them there. Seems like they also misplayed the market though, probably could have gotten Morales on a two year deal if they waited. But it's still half the price of EE. Can't be mad at that. I'm a huge Morales fan though and wanted them to sign him as I too believed EE wasn't coming back. With him in Toronto and EE in Cleveland I expect their numbers to be very similar this year. I'm not saying Morales is going to do what EE did last year in Toronto, but I do believe the 12 or so homers will be much closer because of the divisions and ballparks they will now be playing in.

I'm more pissed at the waste of money Pearce and Smoak represent at 1B than I am at EE leaving. Like you said, that was expected. But $10 million bucks could have helped greatly in other areas.

BTW, Morales played 5 games in the OF last year! ATHLETE!!! ;)

Haha! What hindsight reveals! I guess Smoak wasn't so bad afterall. Although, Pearce seems like a bust. But Smoak could probably blow a leg off (not that he needs them) and still be a plus for the rest of the season compared to his contract.

I still believe, the people most upset about the Jays turn around is the Jays front office. They want nothing more than to trade JD and get some top prospects. Although the play of some of the prospects this year may have changed their minds. Who knew the Jays would have 6 guys in the top 100?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think anyone saw these type of numbers that Smoak has delivered this season. He's just playing out of this world, and I hope he continues.

It is great to have all those great prospects, but trading JD would be beyond stupid.

TheAngrySportsGuy

Registered Member
I don't think anyone saw these type of numbers that Smoak has delivered this season. He's just playing out of this world, and I hope he continues.

It is great to have all those great prospects, but trading JD would be beyond stupid.
I disagree about JD. Depending on the standings and the return, it may be worth it. And with the return and the prospects, this team may only be a couple years away from contending again. The new era if you will. There is a zero percent chance they are going to re-sign him. And really, it would probably be a bad idea.