• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

[Editorial] Desperation: The Reason Glenn Beck Makes Millions

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Most sane people, when they sit down at their television at night to soak up some brainwashing or mindless Hollywood discharge, will watch at least one news program. Even in this day of the internet where bloggers can be famous and videos of dancing kittens reign supreme, people still find time in the day to watch good ol' fashion news. Or do they? A person of moderate sanity will turn to Glenn Beck's show and think, "Yeah, he's a bit extreme, but to each his own." However, this does not explain his massive popularity and frighteningly large audience that wants him to run for presidency. First off, I find it amusing that the political party that bitched about Obama having no experience wants to hire a talking head to look over the nuclear missile controls and represent our country.

Admittedly, I'm bias. I haven't been able to stand Beck for awhile but it's not because of his politics despite the fact that they are miles from my own. What I cannot stand is how he encompasses a lot of what Fox news has recently gotten into trouble for. He's a liar, a fear mongerer, and he creates an alternate reality for his viewers so they can escape the world they don't like. Beck, like many other pundits both left and right, is an exaggerated pile of extreme political opinions. However, Beck is a member of a dying breed, the American conservative. I guess it's debatable, but it does seem like the right is losing it's hold on the country and the conservatives hold too many older values to survive in a progressive society. This brings us to the thread title itself. Why does Glenn Beck make millions?

Try to imagine yourself a conservative in America today. Being a fiscal conservative, I can say I see half of their complaining but my social beliefs tend to be slightly democrat so I'd like to see myself as a decent balance. Nevertheless, I use the labels to describe myself, not for placement purposes. Anyways, you're a conservative. The news media calls you crazy, illogical, and out of touch. The president claims you cling to guns and religion. The only news station that has a twist in your direction is Fox. Now, you're not a huge fan of Fox, but for years now your party has been failing. They lost congress, they lost the White House and they've made some pretty stupid decisions regarding leadership and policy. Times are hard to be a right winger when the rest of society is basically making it "hip" to be left winged. There's that voice we all have in the back of our heads where we stash our excessive emotions and repress what we really want to say but do not since either society or law enforcement would probably get involved.

Fox News is that pent up conservative frustration, that anger with the current state of political affairs and in their need for strong leadership and level headed mentalities, people turn to the extremists. In the right wing's case, it's people like Glenn Beck, a talking head who comedically abuses fact and turns it into fiction and vice versa. He's a man who once called the video game Mass Effect a "rape simulator" because his coworkers on Fox were claiming there was sex in the game. Where did Beck's thoughts go immediately? Yep, rape. That's the sign of a healthy mind alright. However, my personal dislike aside, Beck represents the anger, frustration and downright disappoint the right has had with its own party for many years now.

Of course, the left wing doesn't help matters either. They boost his popularity through equally stupid fear mongering tactics about how Fox is going to destroy the universe and replace it with Hannity.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I have to say you make some very valid points in this editorial.

I agree philosophically with some of the things Beck complains about, rising taxes, the growth of the federal government, the suppression of the Tenth Amendment, expanding Congressional power under the Commerce Clause, to name a few. I do agree with you however that he's as guilty of fearmongering as he claims the left is. He exxagerates the truth and comes to unfounded conclusions to get his point across.

I agree that for the most part he placates to a frustrated base. Many people are tired of some of the things that have gone on politcally for years now by both parties and they don't really have an outlet. It's unfortunate that people can't come to reasonable compromises and quit playing party politics.

EDIT: Let me add I find it ironic that some of the people who objected to Obama because of a lack of experience support Beck running for president.

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm certainly not advocating Beck for ANY political office, but I think in fairness it should be pointed out that you can complain about Obama's lack of experience and still want someone else without experience to be president without being hypocritical.

For instance, imagine candidate A is absolutely horrible, and on top of that has no experience. Candidate B is perfect except for the lack of experience. It is possible to complain about candidate A's lack of experience, then still support candidate B.

(Not saying Beck is perfect, it's just an analogy).

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm certainly not advocating Beck for ANY political office, but I think in fairness it should be pointed out that you can complain about Obama's lack of experience and still want someone else without experience to be president without being hypocritical.

For instance, imagine candidate A is absolutely horrible, and on top of that has no experience. Candidate B is perfect except for the lack of experience. It is possible to complain about candidate A's lack of experience, then still support candidate B.

(Not saying Beck is perfect, it's just an analogy).
And that's a good point, and generally I agree with you. I do find some people however objected to Obama on the basis that he doesn't have enough experience, not that he was absolutely horrible. That he lacked the experience to handle the job. By the same token while they may agree with Beck's politics he certainly lacks the same experience.