[Editorial] Are We Allowed to Succeed Anymore?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yes, this will be a bit long, apologies. I'm rambling about something I've been thinking of lately so here goes.

When we were little and growing, our teachers and parents would constantly ask us, "What do you want to be?" None of us said "lawyers", "CEOs" or "Stock Investors". We aimed high and impossible because that's what kids do. Our minds were not shackled by the bonds of reality and we never stopped our thinking after stumbling over mental barriers reminding us of how improbable our goals were. We were going to go to the moon with our stuffed animals, eat cheese off of the moon's surface, and then head back home to be cowboys. It made perfect sense.

Now we've grown and learned to enjoy reminiscing on simpler times but not to live in them. We go through college and earn our keep and fight the financial wars of student loans and car payments. Then once in a great while, some of us are given opportunities to truly shine, to make the kind of money only a sliver of Hollywood does (the poor sliver that is). However, how much do Americans really like and support success these days? All one has to do is look around at the world and how it is currently running to see that things can be better. The economy is dipping and diving a lot more violently and frequently than it has in decades and unemployment rates continue to rise despite promises otherwise. On the social side of things, everyday a CEO or rich figurehead is tossed to the sharks and we grill them on talk shows, at the water cooler and on the news. Those fat, greedy fucks. How dare they!

Don't worry, I'm not here to defend the greedy. A lot of these pricks deserve the prison time they get like Madoff and that coward from Enron. I don't even want to look up his name because I don't want to give him any of my attention or bring any notice to his name by mentioning it. Yet, there are plenty of successful people that got where they are thanks to their own hard work and each day, they're told how the rich need to be taxed more. They're told they're greedy and more and more tax money is spent to help the impoverished and needy and the country wants it out of the pocket of anyone above certain money lines.

So my question and whole point of this babbling is are we approaching a level of loathing of the rich that we are eventually (or do we already) hate the successful? Especially in a day and age where we love Hollywood so much yet think that any guy with more than a $100 and a nice suit is a blood-sucking asshole who wants to eat your soul and grind your childrens' bones to make his bread? I'm not saying we don't want to be successful or that we even discourage it, what I'm saying is that much like fans such as myself are losing faith in baseball players juicing, I think people are very rapidly losing their ability to believe in those with money (such as believing they earned it through legitimate means).

2. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Are we going to count Warren Buffett as someone who hates the rich?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Good post. You're definitely on to something here. I've touched on it here (that might be putting it lightly) and so have several others.

Jealousy is part of human nature. Those who are unmotivated, unlucky, dumb with finances or downright lazy think that other people don't deserve to be in a better place than they are.

People will say that it's the successful that got there due to the middle class, so they owe them by paying higher taxes. Excuse me? Oh how quickly the middle class forgets who's signature is on each of their paychecks. Sure people hire other people who help them reach their success. They pay them for this. How is this greedy or using people to get ahead?

It's time people take personal responsibility for their own situations. It's time people start respecting those who have dedicated their every waking hour to running the companies that make all of our lives better. So what if they got rich doing so? If you have a problem with rich people then you should boycott them. Don't buy anything from one. Don't work for one. You'll find out that suddenly your life just got a whole lot worse. Perhaps instead of blasting these people we should all be thanking them for their hard work and dedication that has made our world a better place.

You can sit around and complain about how life's not fair, or you can roll up your sleeves, set some goals and don't stop working towards them until you achieve them. The difference between somebody who is successful and somebody who is a failure is that successful people don't give up after failing.
    ------
    You do realize that Warren Buffet profits a TON from high taxes, right? He buys companies and estates all the time from people who can't afford to keep them due to the high taxes. Don't think he's some nice guy who just wants to help out. He's an example of somebody who got where he is by taking advantage of loopholes and screwing many people in the process. He in no way represents the honest hard working business owners that are forced to lay people off and work extra hours themselves due to overwhelming taxes forced upon them by the greedy middle class.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

In general, I'd say there's some resentment towards the rich, most of which is jealousy.

Personally, I have no problems with rich people as long as they worked hard to get where they're at. What I have a problem with are the people who want the rich to get richer, as if that will solve all the problems with the economy. The difference between the rich and the poor in the United States is a little frightening and is more comparable to a lot of poor Central and South American and African countries and Mexico than it is to the prosperous countries around the world.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Once again, I'll bring up Warren Buffet, who is by all accounts a wildly successful and self-made man. Most everyone would say he deserves his success, but at the same time, he and many others consider it unjust that he pays less in taxes than many of his employees. He and many others consider it unjust that some are born into extreme wealth, while others are struggling to feed their families. What many are calling for is precisely that people should have to work for success, as opposed to some being able to lay claim to it through luck or birthright.
    ------
    "Warren Buffett was born in Omaha, Nebraska, the only son of Howard Buffett and second of three children. He worked at his grandfather's grocery store. In 1943, Buffett filed his first income tax return, deducting his bicycle and watch as a work expense for $35 for his work as newspaper delivery boy.[12] After his father was elected to Congress, Buffett was educated at Woodrow Wilson High School, Washington, D.C.[13] In 1945, in his freshman year of high school, Buffett and a friend spent $25 to purchase a used pinball machine, which they placed in a barber shop. Within months, they owned three machines in different locations." -source

It looks to me like your accusations don't quite hold up. The man's been working and investing wisely to get what he has his entire life. You're just attacking him because you disagree with his politics.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Good post Cons. Class envy has been used as a tool to disparage people who have worked hard to get where they are. It's a hatred some politicians have fed on for their own personal gain. We've accepted complaining over hard work as a means to try and get ahead. There are many references in our music, movies, in our pop culture that play into this. They feed on this jealousy for those that have more than they do. I don't think we're allowed to succeed anymore. We criticize those that do.

7. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

The only reason im not doing what i always wanted to do right now is because The best colleges are private, and private schools are ridiculously expensive, which is a shame because if you want to get in a public school all you need to be is a good student and have skills, not money.

But anyway, now im working to gather some money and see if i can get back on track. From what i can see Education, finacial limitations and health are the main barriers to achieve one dream.

8. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Human nature hasn't changed in over 10,000 years. Let's make it 7,000 to avoid argument. Start with that simple fact and you have the answer to your question.

Okay, I looked up "grind children's bones" and got nothing in the blogs. Against precisely whom are you railing here, with this Grimm view of the dapper and becoined?

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I was expecting an intelligent response and the best you can offer me is picking at my exaggerations? Come on Tuck, I know you're better than that.

10. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

If my observations on the trending and scope of the topical issue strike you as ignorant, it should be an easy matter for you to prove them invalid. When you're done cutting me down to size with your clever barbs, maybe you'll take an honest whack.