• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Editing in Anime

P

Pitman

I think everyone knows what is meant by "editing in anime" and yes, there's probably already a topic on this, but the topic can't be emphasized enough. I am extremely against editing in anime. I'm not going to get specific about what I don't like about it and get into a whole discussion about it (as I could be typing for hours). Just give your comments on the subject.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I think editting sucks too. why do they change it anyway? it's not like we've never seen nudity or violence before

L

lilbballfrk

i think it doesnt matter. sometimes they edit it because theres a small glitch or to just make it better. just dont tell me it was edited and ill be fine ;)

Vegito728

Registered Member
Ya I don't like it either. Just cause it have violence or nudity does not mean it has to be edited. That's why I'm going to start watching Japanese with English subs.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
A good example was rurouni kenshin a year or so ago on cartoon network. They editted out alot of the blood.

As far as translation and language the fansub groups will usually keep the original language. Although most dubs keep with the original intent of the sentence. For example InuYasha dropped a bunch of curse words in the fansubs but in the dubbing it got cleaned up.

Some editting is alright if just so it can air. Anything that can get anime on american tv im all about.

M

mysticangel

i'm not much of a fan for editing. epecially on some of the ones where they cut out whole storylines and arcs. The worst editing job in my opinion was One Piece. I love the subtitle but the dubbed version was so badly edited. Some editings I don't mind if it doesn't effect the outcome and feel of the show much.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Yeah One Piece was pretty bad. I still laugh at Smoker when I think back.

Naruto's kind of editted too. like during the written part of the exam, they changed the board into english, and one a different view, the board was left in Japanese. I was kind of amazed at that.

M

mysticangel

I don't mind edits like that cuz it really doesn't effect the show. translating stuff on boards or signs is ok. the editing i don't like occur when they edit out whole plots and storylines, when the change the look of the characters, or when they rush an anime and change the ending.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
mysticangel said:
I don't mind edits like that cuz it really doesn't effect the show. translating stuff on boards or signs is ok. the editing i don't like occur when they edit out whole plots and storylines, when the change the look of the characters, or when they rush an anime and change the ending.
The correct term for that is 'rape' and it happens quite often. However, editing will never cease because we're such a different country than Japan. So we're stuck with americanized anime and american cartoons ripping off anime style (like Teen Titans . . . don't even get me started on how much that show sucks).

A

Angel03

I actually don't watch anime on TV anymore like whatever they show on CN. Even some of the dvd's I own are edited. That is kind of annoying. I understand that dvd's for children should be editing but for older audiences then there is no reason for editing the anime. I am kind of against editing but at the same time if they haven't changed the series or movie too much to ruin characters or plot then I don't mind. I think have been watching dub for so long that in a way it doesn't really bother me much.