• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Edge. [Raw spoilers]

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
This is pretty huge. Edge has been one of the few things that I actually like about the WWE in recent years. Doctors have told him he needs to retire because of a previous neck injury that is finally catching up to him.

I had no idea that he had won more championships than anyone else.

Any of you guys that haven't heard his speech yet need to watch it. He shot a promo from the heart and you can tell that it wasn't scripted.
411mania.com: Wrestling - [VIDEO] Edge's Retirement Speech From RAW

I haven't seen any threads about this yet but he deserves one just to discuss his short but impressive career.

I'll start with my favorite match from when I watched: the first TLC match.

YouTube - First Ever TLC Match Part 1

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This is worthy of its own thread, regardless of the spoilers.

I am aware that there is a discussion in the RWD thread, but I have my own thoughts on this.

I, at first, thought that this was all fake. The placement in the middle of the show made no sense. I thought that if Edge was really leaving, that he would get the end of the show, not the middle, given his career.

Regardless, I accepted this as true, and I will miss Edge almost every day that he isn't around. Realistically, I think that he may just be inducted into the HoF in 2013 if WM is in Toronto like I think it should be.

Doc

V.I.P.
He should be a HoF'er for sure. There's no doubt in my mind that he'd have been a serious legend if he would have been able to continue his career.

I love that the WWE allowed him to retire with the title. That shows empathy in a company that is historically bad in that department.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
He should be a HoF'er for sure. There's no doubt in my mind that he'd have been a serious legend if he would have been able to continue his career.

I love that the WWE allowed him to retire with the title. That shows empathy in a company that is historically bad in that department.
Agreed! However, if the WWE knew beforehand that Edge was retiring, why give him the OPENER at WM? That didn't make any sense.

Doc

V.I.P.
What if Edge didn't' want to take the main event from the younger guys? Cena/Miz represent the current and next generation of stars. For a guy like Edge just wrestling at Wrestlemania and winning the title is a massive honor.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
When Edge first came out on RAW last night, I thought he was just trolling. I think this is the only time I've ever been super upset that a superstar retired. But I'm glad he left on his own terms, and above all - on his own two feet rather than being carried out on a stretcher.

Here's my absolute favorite match from Edge.

YouTube - Eddie Guerrero vs Edge (Ladder Match) Pt2

I could only find part 2 of this match. Anyways I think it's one of the best matches of Edge's career, next to TLC II at WM 17.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I was pretty bummed that my first Raw back Edge retires. Terrible timing on my part. As for a favorite match, it's been a long time since I've seen one. It'd definitely be any match involving Edge & Christian, along with ladders, The Hardys and the Dudley Boyz. Haha.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
You know, I'm really sad about this but I'm at peace with it as well...I've told a couple of you about this, I know, but after Edge returned from his neck injury in 2004 he was in an issue of WWE magazine that I had picked up.

He was saying that he had maybe a year or two left in him.

Considering what he was thinking when he returned, and everything that he's given us fans since then, I think that we have a lot to be thankful for.

I'm really glad that they caught this and that he can stop wrestling before he's seriously injured, put in a wheelchair, etc.

Rastisrules

Registered Member
When Edge first came out on raw I figured it would have something to do with his title match at Extreme Rules. I kept expecting someones music to play during the first part of the promo, but I could tell quickly that all of it was legit.

I cant say that was Edges biggest fan over the last few years, but he has accomplished more then 90% of most people to have ever stepped foot in a WWE ring. The guy will most likely be a hall of famer one day, and he deserves it.

I hope WWE can find a place for him somewhere in the company if hes willing to take it. He has an amazing sense for the business and can be a great asset wherever they put him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm really sad about this announcement, but totally agree with it. Edge as accomplished a lot in the Wrestling business, and if the doctors tell him that he should stop, then I'm glad he's doing what the doctor wants.

He's put on a show for the fans who have purchased tickets, he'll definitely be missed, and there's no doubt in my heart that he's a Hall of Famer.
------
Wanted to add. I wonder how much damage Edge did to himself by using the Spear as his finisher? No matter how you do it, there's a sudden shock to the neck and spine area with that move. Looking back, I also wonder if his last couple months of matches, where's he's used more submission moves and the Impaler as finishers, were booked that way because of his injuries.

Last edited: