• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Edgar Martinez: Hall of Famer?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I apologize for all the Hall of Fame threads recently, but most of them are really interesting debates, IMO.

I'm on the fence. Playing so few games in the field hurts. Having decent, but not great, power numbers and no speed hurts. Never finishing higher than third in the MVP voting holds him back as well. And yes, the counting stats do damage his case.

Thoughts?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
No, the only thing he would had to focus on was hitting. No infield drills, no catching fly balls, just hitting. He doesn't rank in the top 100 all time in career home runs (only 309), hits (2247) or RBIs (1261). The only other two major hitting statistical categories Edgar is in the top 100 all time are batting average (.312 career average) and slugging percentage(.515)For a guy who dedicated his entire career to hitting, I would expect much more out